TravelTalkOnline

Scuba Air Fill Stations?

Posted By: SteveInMD

Scuba Air Fill Stations? - 10/08/2017 01:16 PM

We love scuba diving during our charters. Does anyone know which islands have (or will in the next few months) working compressors?
Posted By: sailbynight

Re: Scuba Air Fill Stations? - 10/08/2017 01:37 PM

Dive BVI has been updating their FB page. Check with them. You could probably do some grid searches in the anchorages There will likely be plenty of surprises the next rear or two down below the surface.
Posted By: Scubacat

Re: Scuba Air Fill Stations? - 10/09/2017 11:29 AM

Blue Water Divers at Nanny Cay have our compressor up and running. Unfortunately our whole shop blew away at Soper's Hole, so no longer a compressor there
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Scuba Air Fill Stations? - 10/09/2017 01:33 PM

I hope you plan to rebuild at Sopers!
G
Posted By: TomC

Re: Scuba Air Fill Stations? - 10/09/2017 06:08 PM

On the topic of diving, I've heard nothing relative to reef damage caused by the recent storms. Are there any reports of reef conditions?
Posted By: rita_irvine

Re: Scuba Air Fill Stations? - 10/09/2017 06:21 PM

Dive BVI is talking about a November opening. They had a short video of the reefs after the storm on their FB page.
Posted By: Scubacat

Re: Scuba Air Fill Stations? - 10/09/2017 10:39 PM

As our building was completely destroyed we will have to wait on the rental company to rebuild a shop. But once space does become available we would certainly like to re open in Soper's.
Posted By: jimnjudy

Re: Scuba Air Fill Stations? - 10/11/2017 04:39 PM

I can't talk to the condition of the reefs after the hurricane in BVI but I can tell you I have been on many reefs after much less severe storms and the damage can take up to a hundred years to repair. The worst thing that happens is a "snowfall" on the reef which is a situation where fine pieces of coral get churned up by the storm and fall like snow on the reef. This smothers the living coral and without living coral the fish will relocate and the result is mile after mile of virtually dead reef...especially in shallower water where the wave action and churning is more severe.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline