TravelTalkOnline

Getting a boat into Nanny Cay

Posted By: EllenS

Getting a boat into Nanny Cay - 01/21/2018 07:20 PM

Hi All,
In a couple of weeks I will down in the BVI aboard a Marine Max boat (not mine) and need to get into Nanny Cay to see my boat which is over there on the hard undergoing insurance issues.

We are not familiar with the old or new layout of Nanny Cay and I was wondering how best to get there for a visit.

Is there dock space for my 44' somewhere for an hour or so? The captain is assuming the current books and charts we have are not current since Irma and we want to be sure before we enter Nanny Cay.

We also know we can get on a ball in Sopers Hole and taxi over if need be.

Thanks for any advice,
Ellen
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Getting a boat into Nanny Cay - 01/21/2018 08:38 PM

Probably best to call the marina for guidance. I saw a bunch of Marine Max boats tied up near the Sol fuel dock at the head of the west entrance to Nanny Cay. They have a marked narrow channel through the west channel to avoid the many submerged hazards.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Getting a boat into Nanny Cay - 01/21/2018 08:41 PM

I haven't been back since Irma, but did speak with some people who had just come back from there this past week. They found space available in the new marina area with no issues or reservations; but Nanny Cay will usually charge for temporary dock space unless they know you. I might be there at the same time to check out "Zanshin", which I understand is _finally_ going to be lifted onto her keel so I can ascertain if she'll sail again...
Posted By: EllenS

Re: Getting a boat into Nanny Cay - 01/21/2018 10:43 PM

Thanks. Yes calling the marina will be the answer. I’ll be sure to ask about the marked channel.

Thanks and good luck getting your boat lifted. Hope you get the answer you want.
Ellen
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Getting a boat into Nanny Cay - 01/21/2018 10:59 PM

Arndt..wishing you all the best. As we havent heard from you we figured you were suffering through the BS like the rest of us. We are back end of Feb and CRC should be somewhat habitable by then if you need a place to lay your head..
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Getting a boat into Nanny Cay - 01/22/2018 07:20 AM

Thanks Mal - I certainly hope that you get your insurance travails sorted out and look forward to a Château Relaxeau stay. I'm not terribly sanguine about "Zanshin" sailing again but did spend time yesterday at the boat show in Düsseldorf talking with Sparcraft for a new rig, Elström for new sails and Jeanneau for the other parts. Of course the BVI isn't making things easy with their duties and charges, either.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Getting a boat into Nanny Cay - 01/22/2018 10:16 AM

You could potentially motor to elsewhere and avoid the duties
Posted By: Scubacat

Re: Getting a boat into Nanny Cay - 01/22/2018 01:05 PM

The new marina is open, the old marina is open for the fuel dock. There is a channel marked to get further into it, but there is no where to go but the haul out pits. Call Nanny Cay they are busy, but might have a slip in the new marina you could use
Posted By: JlarsBVI

Re: Getting a boat into Nanny Cay - 01/22/2018 04:57 PM

We were there last week to fill up fuel. We had never been there before and found it easy to get into the dock by the fuel. There was room for three boats right by the fuel dock while we were there. We were there for about 45 minutes as another boat was filling up before us. We called the marina and circled outside until they were ready for us.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline