TravelTalkOnline

Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep

Posted By: jredenbaugh

Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 04/26/2018 05:19 PM

We have 9 people on a 451 PC from Moorings this June 20-27. Do we need reservations for Scooters or should we opt for a couple jeeps?
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 04/26/2018 05:42 PM

You can rent a safari truck from Dean Wheatley that will hold 9 people.

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 04/26/2018 05:47 PM

Thanks, that sounds like the way to go.
Posted By: Catmandu

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 04/26/2018 10:11 PM

How do you get in touch with Dean Wheatley.
Posted By: FLJim

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 04/26/2018 10:19 PM

Google "Dean Wheatley Anegada"
Posted By: 706jim

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 04/26/2018 10:54 PM

451 PC. Is this a new offering?

As for scooters, you have to remember that roads on Anegada are pretty rough for the most part. So while there isn't that much traffic, scooters are not the safest vehicle to be travelling with IMO.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 04/27/2018 01:34 PM

Dean Wheatley = dwjeep@hotmail.com, 284-544-3703 or 284-495-9677

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 04/27/2018 03:12 PM

Sorry, 514 PC
Posted By: Catmandu

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/03/2018 07:56 PM

Do you need a special bvi drivers license to rent a vehicle on Anegada or do they accept your country of origins license.
Posted By: BombaCharger

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/03/2018 08:30 PM

Years ago, a tourist needed to get a temporary BVI drivers licence. I think it cost $20 and was good for 30 days. Those days are over. Now they just whack you with other nonsensical charges. Your New Jersey driver's license should be just fine.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/03/2018 11:00 PM

Most folks will advise four wheelers only.
My business partner did scooter a couple of years ago and regretted it. Or call for taxis

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/04/2018 12:47 PM

No BVI license is needed. I've been renting from Dean for the last 4 years. No one has asked or checked my license.
Posted By: rsherer

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/04/2018 02:02 PM

We've got a crew from SC that plans to be at Anegada on the 25 & 36. We are planning on renting from http://snkamazingrentals.com/ .

See you there!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/04/2018 02:18 PM

I would definently rent a car or Jeep and skip the scooters. Scooters on sandy bad roads have probably ended more vacations early than any other cause!
G
Posted By: DEL

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/04/2018 04:09 PM

I agree with George, but our younger generation loves the scooters. Avoiding alcohol improves the safety aspect.
Posted By: 706jim

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/04/2018 05:44 PM

Roads on Anegada are ROUGH! A fall or breakdown on a scooter and where will you get help?

Did I mention that roads on Anegada are rough?
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/04/2018 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by 706jim
Roads on Anegada are ROUGH! A fall or breakdown on a scooter and where will you get help?

Did I mention that roads on Anegada are rough?

They are a little rough. But compared to a few years ago (i.e., before the road was paved to Loblolly) the roads today are absolutely beautiful!
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/04/2018 08:54 PM

For the cost of a couple of scooters you can rent a truck and carry the whole group..believe me its a better deal, MUCH safer and more fun. I have witnessed some gnarly road rash on Anegada from scooter crashes..and those are the ones that got off light!

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/05/2018 12:18 PM

I agree with Manpot. Call or email Dean. 284-544-3703, dwjeep@hotmail.com
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/05/2018 01:51 PM

Rent a 4 wheeled vehicle or take a taxi.

http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/en/news/tourist-injured-in-motor-scooter-accident-on-anegada/

There's a small memorial placed near the roundabout -> http://bvinews.com/new/fatal-motor-scooter-accident-on-anegada/
Posted By: Kirk

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/05/2018 08:01 PM

We've done both. Scooters were a blast. Only roadrash we ever suffered from was climbing back up on the old Willy T dinghy dock after jumping. cheers
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/10/2018 10:31 PM

About a year ago there was a scooter accident (single vehicle, scooter hit rock or sand) with head injury requiring patient to be flown first to St Thomas and then Boston (or Baltimore?). Not a good ending to trip..

Definitely 4 week. Dean Cell Phone as land lines are (as of last month) still not working.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/10/2018 10:50 PM

Scootering on Anegada is ok on the paved roads but you have to go slow on the unpaved due to soft spots.
If you’re there for the day four wheels will let you tour the island comfortably
Posted By: Sunnykm

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/11/2018 03:12 AM

Ufortunately I had a problem on a scooter in the soft sand and uneven road on the way back from Cow Wreck. I did have some painkillers so keep that in mind but the bruise I got lasted months. It wasn't worth it. I should have swallowed my pride and paid for the taxi out and back to Cow Wreck instead of going along with my friends on scooters--which I wouldn't ride back at home at all.

I was lucky?? I went down in the sand but there was all kinds of rocks and other lethal objects that could have made my accident far more serious. I will never do that again.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/11/2018 09:00 AM

The women had the scooter accident on the soft sand near cow wreck. She hit her heard on one of those rocks. It’s an awful story. I believe she was hospitalized for many weeks followed by very long rehab. I don’t know if she made a full recovery but I’m hopeful.

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/12/2018 02:42 PM

Accidents can happen with anything. Car accident, boat accident...a person just died while snorkeling at Peter Island...
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/12/2018 03:21 PM

Well, yes, for sure, but some things just aren't worth taking the risk, especially on vacation, when you are far from home and far from a hospital.
Posted By: Sunnykm

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/12/2018 03:56 PM

Kirk

Do you know what occured? Is there a link to more information regarding the incident?
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/12/2018 04:45 PM

http://bvibeacon.com/tourist-dies-after-snorkelling-at-peter-island/#.Wx_UvJ7WBfw.facebook

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/12/2018 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Well, yes, for sure, but some things just aren't worth taking the risk, especially on vacation, when you are far from home and far from a hospital.

I've read about more people dying while in the water than people wrecking a scooter riding to cow wreck etc...yet every time this topic comes up you'd think it was more dangerous than jumping the Snake River Canyon.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/12/2018 05:45 PM

The point is that it is taking a needless risk. People die of natural causes all the time while swimming. That is very unfortunate, but it's way different.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/13/2018 02:40 AM

Most people do not have the experience or skill to ride on the lumpy road on the north side. Add alcohol and an accident become too likely.
Posted By: ScurvyD

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/13/2018 03:07 AM

Warren, you are way too right. We are all adults with enough resources to hire a safari truck cab. Wouldn't do it in Mexico, and wouldn't do it in the BVI. Maybe too critical, but that's my opinion.
Posted By: Nevermonday

Re: Anegada Scooter Rental or Jeep - 06/18/2018 07:05 PM

We use SNK amazing Rental in Anegada a 2 min walk from the hotel. $85 get you a 7 seater and $110 for a 12 seater. ms.faulkner@hotmail.com for bookings. We would never suggest scooters, no disrespect to the scooter rentals places, but have seen many people full off over the years as the roads go from concrete to sand and they cant control the bikes... and nearest hospital is Tortola !!! OUCH !
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline