TravelTalkOnline

JVD to Anegada

Posted By: gsabert

JVD to Anegada - 05/14/2018 07:38 PM

Has anyone made this sail? Curious about timing w/June winds. Thanks.
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: JVD to Anegada - 05/14/2018 07:46 PM

Did it once on my cat from CGB with Manpot, Glenn A & Saildoggie on board. It was a looong day. There's a good reason most everyone does the counterclockwise route. If you'll be on a mono it could be fun if the wind's a bit S of E.
Posted By: ScurvyD

Re: JVD to Anegada - 05/14/2018 08:09 PM

In my limited experience on a cat, plan on motor sailing there. Last June I thought the winds would be S of E, but they were N or E the whole week. Motored from Norman to NS and to Anegada from Scrub. Best to leave from Leverick and the sail back to Jost is awesome. Again not a lot of trips, but that's been our experience.
Posted By: ScurvyD

Re: JVD to Anegada - 05/14/2018 08:10 PM

Guess I should clarify that was motor sailing.
Posted By: FLJim

Re: JVD to Anegada - 05/14/2018 08:37 PM

We did this once when the wind was far enough S of E that we could lay a course for Pomato point - just a single short tack to get into Setting point. Winds tend to be ESE in June, so maybe you'll get lucky.
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: JVD to Anegada - 05/15/2018 02:17 AM

Did a similar route on our Saba 50 in June 2016. Winds were SE16-18 with 3-4' seas. Rounded Steele Point at 11:30 am, and were anchored at Setting Point by 4:30 pm. Did a couple long tacks along the way, but were still driven a few miles west of West End Pt and motored the last few miles to the entrance channel.

If winds are at least south of east, you might want to motor to north tip of Guana Island or Great Camanoe then try to sail from there.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: JVD to Anegada - 05/15/2018 02:18 PM

I have done it many times. It’s 25 miles with a course about 050. If your on a monohull you may be able to lay the anchorage. Just depends on the actual wind direction. Could be anywhere from 060 to 120. If it’s the standard 090 and you are on a cat leave JVD early and motor to Guana. Perhaps if you leave early stop for a snorkel at Monkey point. From there you should be able to lay the anchorage.
G
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline