TravelTalkOnline

Which hand-held vhf marine radio?

Posted By: ggffrr11

Which hand-held vhf marine radio? - 01/17/2019 11:09 PM

After 400 years, my hand-held vhf marine radio with vacuum tubes, and so on and so on, has kicked the bucket. What recommendations are there in the sub $150 range with some waterproof features, etc? thx
Posted By: bailau

Re: Which hand-held vhf marine radio? - 01/17/2019 11:21 PM

I have orange Cobra marine MR HH500 FLT BT and very happy with it...i just pulled it off my boat today to make sure i had it for the islands

i believe it was just under 150
Posted By: pedalpusher

Re: Which hand-held vhf marine radio? - 01/18/2019 12:26 AM

I have the same one and am happy with it. Got it at Bass Pro for about $100.
Posted By: DanS

Re: Which hand-held vhf marine radio? - 01/18/2019 03:23 AM

I'm happy with my Standard Horizon HX870. At around $200 it's outside the range you specified, but I like the built-in Digital Selective Calling (DSC) and GPS.

Something to keep in mind: A very compact radio will not float (unless it's also very light, which is not so easy to do). Models that float will be larger. Pay yer money and take yer choice.

Oh, and if you want to use DSC, you'll need an MMSI number. See this thread: Got a new VHF handheld, but have an issue

Dan cheers
Posted By: Mandknky

Re: Which hand-held vhf marine radio? - 01/18/2019 03:25 AM

We have 2 of the uniden MHS75 and have used them for several years on our BVI charters. Only about -$85 each on Amazon. They usually hold a charge the entire time for us on a 10 or 12 day trip. Waterproof and submersible.
Posted By: wizoc

Re: Which hand-held vhf marine radio? - 01/18/2019 02:40 PM

This is not an item where you try to get a less expensive model. Go with Standard Horizon even if a little more money.
Posted By: mainesailor

Re: Which hand-held vhf marine radio? - 01/18/2019 04:22 PM

If I can offer an opinion......floating VHF hand held radios are pretty much the norm these days, no performance reduction or extra size. Both Standard Horizon, Icom and Uniden make high quality hand held radios. The Standard Horizon HX-150 (this model is being replaced going into the 2019 season but is still a perfectly good radio) @ $99 or the HX-210 @ $119.99 will give you plenty of features for the money and they both float. All VHF hh radios have essentially the same transmit power, some claim 6 watts most are 5w.

The Icom M-25 is a good choice as well @ $136.99
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Which hand-held vhf marine radio? - 01/18/2019 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by mainesailor
If I can offer an opinion......floating VHF hand held radios

Ditto on floating... A friend went kayaking.....he has a very nice waterproof handheld sitting somewhere on the bottom of Delaware Bay. (Might still be working)
Posted By: NotquiteCapnRon

Re: Which hand-held vhf marine radio? - 01/19/2019 03:56 AM

The Icom M-25 is a good choice as well @ $136.99

I've had two of these for a while. Reliable and hold a charge great.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline