TravelTalkOnline

Sailing to Anegada

Posted By: jagmansr

Sailing to Anegada - 02/02/2019 04:23 PM

Considering most people sail counter clockwise and either arrive in the BVI on Saturday of Wednesday, What days of the week are less crowded in Anegada?
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/02/2019 04:28 PM

From my experience staying on Anegada it appears to me Tuesday and Wednesday are the busiest days.
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/02/2019 08:16 PM

Doesn't seem to be any slow days lately. In mid-January there were 50 boats on a Monday.
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/02/2019 10:53 PM

Friday Saturday Sunday are the quiet days
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/03/2019 02:38 AM

Friday won't be quiet in a couple weeks
Posted By: Midsouth

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/03/2019 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by tradewinds
Friday won't be quiet in a couple weeks

Educate me. Why is that?
Posted By: sail445

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/03/2019 02:22 PM

Probably the Dark and Stormy Regatta early March.

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/03/2019 10:29 PM

Hmmm, everything I’m reading is giving me concern about being able to get a ball no matter what day we visit Anageda. Can it really be that bad? Right now we’re planning a Sunday and Monday night.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/03/2019 10:44 PM

Check the Dark and Stormy Regatta schedule and plan to be where they are not. Just got back last night. Anegada was very busy. Have never seen it as crowded and it seemed like they have added more balls since we were there last 3 years ago. Plan to arrive before 11am/noon or be prepared to anchor.
Posted By: FRANKIE2

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/03/2019 11:07 PM

I do not believe that there is a better place to anchor in the BVI than Anegada.

KF Quinn
S/V EVENT HORIZON

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/04/2019 01:13 AM

We’re avoiding the dark and stormy-although our trip will overlap somewhat with the Spring Regatta. I agree, that Among the the many good anchorages, Anegada is certainly there. However, I don’t sleep as soundly on an anchor as I do on a ball, if adult beverages, to excess are invlovled, I prefer to be on a mooring ball. It’s a preference.

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/04/2019 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Midsouth
We’re avoiding the dark and stormy-although our trip will overlap somewhat with the Spring Regatta. I agree, that Among the the many good anchorages, Anegada is certainly there. However, I don’t sleep as soundly on an anchor as I do on a ball, if adult beverages, to excess are invlovled, I prefer to be on a mooring ball. It’s a preference.

I have has mooring pennants break in the middle night - once in Anegada and once at Saba Rock. To each his own.

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/04/2019 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by NCSailor

I have has mooring pennants break in the middle night - once in Anegada and once at Saba Rock. To each his own.

That would certainly change one’s perspective! And a good reminder that a snorkel over an anchor, and a good look at your lines should be a sufficient safeguard,

Someone mentioned that newer bareboat captains preferred a mooring ball over anchoring, and I admit that my preferences have evolved. However, the perception of security DOESN’T mean that the mooring ball has been appropriately maintained, worth remembering.
Posted By: Latadjust

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/09/2019 10:42 PM

I like to check the mooring, pennant and the chain attachment to the ball. Usually they're fine but I have doubled up with an extra line a time or two, especially when a storm blows by

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/09/2019 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Latadjust
I like to check the mooring, pennant and the chain attachment to the ball. Usually they're fine but I have doubled up with an extra line a time or two, especially when a storm blows by

Sound advice, right there.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/10/2019 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by NCSailor

I have never had a anchor fail me. I have also had two mooring balls come free. One was expensive as it caused some damage. The ball failed at its attachment point to the bottom.
G

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/10/2019 01:37 AM

I noticed last week the majority of the moored boats with one line through the eye of the pennant. This allows the line to move back and forth and chafe and potentially fail. The correct hookup is to run a line from each forward cleat back to the same cleat so you have two connect points. Been discussed here many times but still see boats doing dangerous things.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/10/2019 03:59 PM

Actually the line through the pennant is taught and chafe is at a minimum.
Posted By: Christo

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/10/2019 05:23 PM

We always use two lines, one each side of the bow and back to itself. Per NCSailor.

Found it bizarre that the one-line method was advised in the Sunsail chart briefing...though this may have changed now. Utterly useless briefing from start to finish.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Sailing to Anegada - 02/10/2019 11:15 PM

I've seen briefings that suggest putting the actual mooring pendant over the boat's cleat.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline