TravelTalkOnline

Scotts Cruising Guide post Irma Updates

Posted By: bailau

Scotts Cruising Guide post Irma Updates - 02/28/2019 08:08 PM

http://www.cruisingguides.com/seadogblog/bvi-post-hurricane-update-june-2018
Posted By: Christo

Re: Scotts Cruising Guide post Irma Updates - 02/28/2019 11:44 PM

Hmmmn. I think the info on this forum is perhaps more reliable. A number of things jumped out from Scott's update as being totally incorrect!
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Scotts Cruising Guide post Irma Updates - 02/28/2019 11:54 PM

A lot of things have happened, improved & opened since June 2018.
A couple of major things are Bobby's in Cane Garden Bay is open and fully stocked, the
Elm is open with the Elmtones playing on Sundays & Quitos is open.

Re: Scotts Cruising Guide post Irma Updates - 02/28/2019 11:57 PM

Not many things have closed since then though...
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Scotts Cruising Guide post Irma Updates - 03/01/2019 12:01 AM

Doesn't even mention Omar's Café at Sopers Hole. They opened right after the storms and now Omar has a great new restaurant
where Scaramouche used to be.

And, not to nitpick, but the inner green market at Anegada was missing then, but since has been replaced. Gotta wonder where they
get their info.

Re: Scotts Cruising Guide post Irma Updates - 03/01/2019 12:06 AM

Sand box - not open

Saba Rock - won't be open for 2019 season (2020 maybe judging by photos taken this week)

Bitter End to be completed in 2019? Again, photos from this week show that they have only just finished clearing the site, no new construction in sight.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Scotts Cruising Guide post Irma Updates - 03/01/2019 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Christo
Hmmmn. I think the info on this forum is perhaps more reliable. A number of things jumped out from Scott's update as being totally incorrect!

Completely agree my friend...as I have tried to update on this site from our 3 post Irma trips. I just ordered the books for my next crew and found this and thought it might be helpful
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Scotts Cruising Guide post Irma Updates - 03/01/2019 12:53 AM

Some years ago there appeared articles of the “Best Beach Bars in the Caribbean” genre, sourced apparently from the web, with “borrowed “‘photos, written by armchair travelers who hadn’t set foot on the beaches. I recall Walker having to go after one.

That came to mind when I read this. We are on our seventh post-Irma trip, many of those long visits, and Da Loose Mongoose has not had a dock, beach bar or indeed anything since Irma. That is not something you could see and mistake.

It’s fair enough to have trusted reporters, but otherwise, yeah TTOL is way more useful than a misleading guide.

Re: Scotts Cruising Guide post Irma Updates - 03/01/2019 08:57 AM

We were flicking through our old copy of Jacques Patuelli's pilot guide 'Grenada to the Virgin Islands' not so long ago (updated in 2004). He might as well be describing a different planet! Even before the hurricanes, the pace of change in the BVI is staggering.

The photos of him anchored right off the beach at The Baths with no other boats or people anywhere to be seen.

Billy Bones at Norman Island (we miss that place!)
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Scotts Cruising Guide post Irma Updates - 03/01/2019 02:09 PM

Back in the day the Moorings would send a Cruising Guide with the contract confirmation package. We really looked forward to receiving the contract package with the new guide. We probably have 15 editions stashed away. This past trip they didn’t even send a confirmation package. All docs were signed on line.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline