TravelTalkOnline

Action Quest Sailing/SCUBA camp

Posted By: SASFall91

Action Quest Sailing/SCUBA camp - 03/07/2019 07:13 PM

We are considering sending our daughter to the Action Quest sailing/scuba camp this summer. She has been to camps before but never out of the country by herself and no sailing or scuba experience (which the camp says is fine). They live on the sailboat for 17-21 days and learn to sail while getting scuba certified. We are looking for any feedback from people familiar with the BVI and this sailing/scuba experience. Any feedback or guidance is welcome. Thank you.
Posted By: captmonk

Re: Action Quest Sailing/SCUBA camp - 03/07/2019 08:03 PM

Mike runs a great program at AQ. If I were going to recommend another program it would be AQ.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Action Quest Sailing/SCUBA camp - 03/07/2019 09:46 PM

But..please consider Capt Monk who does a great job and has years of experience..
Posted By: warren460

Re: Action Quest Sailing/SCUBA camp - 03/08/2019 12:57 AM

Our son and daughter went one summer. My daughter went the following summer. They were in the scuba program. I felt safe with our kids in Mikes program.

Talk to Mike and ask him all the questions you should be thinking about.

Food
Dive safety
Medical and paramedical needs
How many kids in a bunk
Adult supervision
Drugs
Counselor screening?
Weather.
Any anything else you can think of.
Posted By: captmonk

Re: Action Quest Sailing/SCUBA camp - 03/08/2019 12:50 PM

Thanks Mal:):)
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Action Quest Sailing/SCUBA camp - 03/08/2019 02:28 PM

I WANT to go... but I guess I might be a little too OLD.
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: Action Quest Sailing/SCUBA camp - 03/08/2019 06:07 PM

Having observed these schools (there are a lot) for many years I am amazed at how well they keep things in control. I have never seen any issues and I sure looked for them. Very professional and have strict enforcement of rules. I would not hesitate about sending Lilly on one of these trips....other than....why the hell does my kid get a better vacation than I do??
Posted By: Thistle

Re: Action Quest Sailing/SCUBA camp - 03/08/2019 09:41 PM

My 15 year old daughter will be going on her third ActionQuest summer in July. It has been an AMAZING experience for her! Highly, highly, highly recommend. The various programs are extremely well run, organized and fun. The kids end up learning incredible teamwork and leadership skills. Each summer my daughter has had kids from all over the US and Europe on her boats. She has become an Advanced Diver (65 fives as an Advanced Diver) a very proficient monohull sailor (blue water sailing last summer to the Leeward Islands) and this summer she will complete the Rescue Diver certification. Please ask any questions you would like: SarahD123@aol.com
Posted By: SASFall91

Re: Action Quest Sailing/SCUBA camp - 03/12/2019 02:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I do agree, why does my daughter get to do at 14 what has been on my to do list for 30 years??
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline