TravelTalkOnline

Tortola and VG Car Rentals

Posted By: shiloh8912

Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/09/2019 04:32 AM

Six of us with luggage will need a suitable vehicle to get us from the airport to Sea Cow Bay along with a drive to Bananakeet for dinner at the end of October. We’re also hoping to rent a vehicle while on VG for a day drive around the island the first week of November. Any suggestions on current rental car companies? It’s been 5 years since we’ve been to the BVI so I presume companies have changed since Irma.
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/09/2019 12:02 PM

We've used Mahogany Car rentals on VG for over 20 years. Can't go wrong with them! http://www.mahoganycarrentalsbvi.com/
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/09/2019 02:11 PM

Mahogany is good as is Speedy's (you might be able to get a discount if you travel by ferry as well) also L&S and Harrigans - all are good on Virgin gorda - links are here http://www.adagiovilla.com/touring-virgin-gorda.php cheers
Posted By: warren460

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/09/2019 04:26 PM

I like mahogany. Used them many times.
Posted By: JlarsBVI

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/10/2019 06:32 PM

We had some problems with Speedy's in January so will be using Mahogany from now on and have only heard good things about them.

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/10/2019 06:48 PM

Thank You for the recommendation, we will contact Mahogany. Any suggestions for Tortola?
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/10/2019 08:05 PM

Since the hurricane, the only place, that I have found, with a vehicle big enough for your group is at Avis. I like to use local companies, but I have not found one with a van.

Avis was very responsive, delivered the vehicle to us in Cane Garden Bay. No complaints.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/10/2019 08:18 PM

For Tortola you might just consider a taxi for those two trips. Are you leaving on a boat charter the day after your Banankeet dinner? You’ll have to allow time to return the rental car and then you’ll need to get back to the charter boat. We’ve used AC Taxi on Tortola and always been pleased with the service. His van was large, clean and had AC.
Posted By: GW248

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/10/2019 08:26 PM

Had a good experience with Avis for a one day rental (when no one else would do a one day) in June 2018. We walked over from Moorings but they said they would have picked us up, and did drive us back after the return.

Multiple good experience with L&S, though Nick would always handle the bookings.

And can second AC's taxi if you end up going the taxi route. Great guy and great van!
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/10/2019 10:16 PM

AC is the way to go..check sponsors here..

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/11/2019 04:39 AM

I guess it makes sense to just use a taxi on Tortola. We’ll need to go from the airport to Sea Cow Bay, drop our gear then a trip to Callwoods Distillery and Bananakeet then back to the boat for the night. Another trip into town and back the next AM to pick up groceries and any additional alcohol we may need. I’ll check with AC’s Taxi. Thanks all for the advice.
Posted By: NickR

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/11/2019 08:26 AM

Agree with Mal, A/C is the way, his van will fit everybody
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/11/2019 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by shiloh8912
I guess it makes sense to just use a taxi on Tortola. We’ll need to go from the airport to Sea Cow Bay, drop our gear then a trip to Callwoods Distillery and Bananakeet then back to the boat for the night. Another trip into town and back the next AM to pick up groceries and any additional alcohol we may need. I’ll check with AC’s Taxi. Thanks all for the advice.

If you're doing all that moving around on Tortola, it will be cheaper to rent a car. Check and see if Avis will give you van at the airport and pick it up for you at Sea Cows the next day.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/11/2019 04:42 PM

FYI..there is a decent rental car outfit right in Sea Cow's Bay now..
Posted By: marisol

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/11/2019 04:44 PM

We rented an 8 passenger van last fall from Enterprise at Maria's By the Sea. We needed to pick up the rest of the family at the airport. The service from them was great.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/12/2019 01:45 AM

Better to rent a van and pay for the pickip and drop off fees. The trip from EIS to Nanny Cay for 6 totals $110 plus luggage fees. Then from Nanny Cay to Cane Garden Bay is another $79 each way. Then a couple of you will probably need to run in to Riteway for some last minute provisions. Another $30 each way. About $300 total plus tips.
You coud rent two cars for that price.

Re: Tortola and VG Car Rentals - 09/12/2019 03:51 AM

I’ll check with Avis. Now have to deal with Seaborne-Silver changing our return flight home today only giving us a 55 minute layover in San Juan. I know that’s not gonna work...🤬
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline