TravelTalkOnline

Timeline of Storms From Africa

Posted By: shiloh8912

Timeline of Storms From Africa - 10/24/2019 04:30 PM

Forgive me if I sound paranoid but does anyone know the approximate time it takes for a tropical wave to roll off of Africa and make its way to the Leeward Islands? It's late in the season but the current front coming off of Africa looks fairly well developed...
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Timeline of Storms From Africa - 10/24/2019 04:40 PM

Where did you see this? I don't see anything on the NHC website. We figure a one-week window, that is, if we don't see anything we'll be out before a hurricane arrives. Of course they move at different speeds.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Timeline of Storms From Africa - 10/24/2019 05:47 PM

On the NHC tropical weather discussion they mention a wave coming off the W coast of Africa but it’s still to soon to know if will head our way, usually at this time of the year they tend to veer North.

Re: Timeline of Storms From Africa - 10/24/2019 06:33 PM

Here is where I look.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIATWDAT.shtml

"A tropical wave near the coast of Africa is along 16W from 20N
southward, moving W at 10-15 kt. The wave is very well defined
in satellite imagery, total precipitable water imagery and model
diagnostics. Scattered moderate to isolated strong convection is
mostly south of the monsoon trough from 02N-14N between 13W-22W."

I typically read www.stormcarib.com but since we're setting sail next week my long term paranoia creeps in lol
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Timeline of Storms From Africa - 10/25/2019 12:05 AM

If the NHC is not forecasting any development, then don't worry about this one late in the season.
Posted By: RandyA92

Re: Timeline of Storms From Africa - 10/25/2019 01:01 PM

Go to Windy.com and watch the timeline, by late next week low to moderate winds out of the east. I watch this one daily when headed out...knock on wood, its been good to me so far!

Re: Timeline of Storms From Africa - 10/25/2019 03:34 PM

I'll check it out thanks Randy. Wheels up Monday night, hope to be drinking a PK on Tortola Tuesday evening!
Posted By: RandyA92

Re: Timeline of Storms From Africa - 10/25/2019 07:42 PM

Enjoy, we get there on Friday the 1st.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline