TravelTalkOnline

Any second level operators left?

Posted By: captainmurph

Any second level operators left? - 11/23/2019 05:11 PM

While I have been sailing the BVI since the late 90's, I find that I haven't been down since 2011.

I know a lot has gone down in past years and wonder if any of the second or third level operators survived?

While I go back to when Sunsail was Sun Yacht Charters out of Maya Cove, my last trips were all with Jim & Ceila's Pro Valor operations out of Fat Hogs Bay.

I know Sunsail and Moorings are still major players, and a few others but wonder if there is anyone with old (and less spendy) boats like we used to have.

Anyone?

Greg & Vickie Murphy
Shelbyville, MI
Posted By: ugo

Re: Any second level operators left? - 11/23/2019 06:05 PM

You can get newer 'less spendy' boats by using owner's time at the major players. We had done that a few times and were pleased. sometimes it is 30 to 50% off the regular charter fee.
Basically it is like renting someone's time share week at a resort. A lot of boat owners can't get down 4-6 weeks a year so they 'rent' out their time to you. You pay the owner directly but you are treated like any other charterer at the marina. A win-win for everyone.
The details are at www.sailonline.com.
Posted By: Kegoangoango

Re: Any second level operators left? - 11/23/2019 07:43 PM

Conch Charters is a good "second tier" company.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Any second level operators left? - 11/23/2019 08:08 PM

Footloose is the Moorings/Sunsail option in BVI
BVIYC and Conch are others we’ve used and familiar with.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Any second level operators left? - 11/24/2019 09:10 AM

I have not used them but hear good things about The Captains Compass.
Posted By: Brent

Re: Any second level operators left? - 11/24/2019 12:29 PM

Ahoy Captain, Brent here and Yes I have more than survived and now keeping very busy with lots of Old and New Friends.
Try - https://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/206511/1.html
Fair Winds from The Captains Compass
Posted By: sisterblysse

Re: Any second level operators left? - 02/21/2020 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by jphart
Footloose is the Moorings/Sunsail option in BVI
BVIYC and Conch are others we’ve used and familiar with.

Are Footloose still trading, and do they have monohulls? Their website is has not been recently updated and I couldn't see any of their boats around when I was in the BVIs in Dec 2019.
Posted By: NotquiteCapnRon

Re: Any second level operators left? - 02/21/2020 02:27 PM

FYI - Some of the second tier companies have mostly replenished their fleets with new boats since Irma. BVI Yacht Charters would be an example. Simple no frills base facility with showers. Responsive service and well maintained boats. Refuel at their dock is convenient. Anthony (dock manager) runs a tight program on the docks and knows the boats well.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline