TravelTalkOnline

Sunscreen - buy on island?

Posted By: CottageGirl

Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/20/2020 07:23 PM

We're packing extra light this trip. At least we're trying to ;-) Only taking carry on luggage which is going to prohibit the large bottles of sunscreen/after sun lotion we'll use for the week. We've placed a provisioning order with Riteway for delivery. Going to do in person shopping at Bobby's. I don't see sunscreen or other personal care items on Bobby's provisioning list. Anyone bought sunscreen there?
We're chartering with TMM and there's a small Riteway store there - do they sell sunscreen?

Thanks!
PS: We spent a week on Anegada last year and figured we'd buy sunscreen there. That proved way more difficult than it sounds - thankfully Ann at Cow Wreck gave us sunscreen bottles that her guests had left behind!
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/20/2020 07:26 PM

Riteway definitely has it so I'm guessing Bobby's does too. You'll overpay, but most gift shops carry it too. I know Val has it at the Myett's shop.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/20/2020 08:00 PM

Next store to Bobby's is Bolo's department store. They should have it too.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/20/2020 08:33 PM

I take travel size in my carry on...
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/20/2020 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by bailau
I take travel size in my carry on...

We did the same. I wonder who told us to do that? 😊

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/20/2020 09:07 PM

Thanks all! I know we'll overpay but its going to be cheaper than the $75 for a third bag on InterCaribbean if we can get down to 2 carry on bags. It's looking promising - haha!
Travel size - do you take like a dozen of them?

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/20/2020 09:14 PM

I give every cabin a gallon baggie full of travel size toiletries.....shampoo, soap, bug spray, aloe, tooth paste shaving creme etc...I bring a bag with extras and my "seasick bag of medicines"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058SXKV0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On a boat of 10 we usually go through 6 or so.

Not being cheap just want to be efficient and if you cant fit it in carry on you aren't coming...:)
Posted By: Lcrich

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/20/2020 10:35 PM

The Riteway by TMM has big bottles of sunscreen. TMM also sells it. They also offered us some leftover bottles from boat clean up in June. That was great! You could also buy it thru Amazon (way cheaper)
and have it sent to TMM. I'm doing that next time!

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/21/2020 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lcrich
The Riteway by TMM has big bottles of sunscreen. TMM also sells it. They also offered us some leftover bottles from boat clean up in June. That was great! You could also buy it thru Amazon (way cheaper)
and have it sent to TMM. I'm doing that next time!

You can have an Amazon package sent to TMM and they’ll hold it for you??? This could be a game changer for packing light ......
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/21/2020 01:33 PM

I suspect you will find the shipping costs high.

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/21/2020 02:03 PM

Shipping will be deal killer...I regularly get items for the workers at base camp and looked into shipping instead of carrying down and it doesn't work due to costs.

There is sunscreen almost everywhere down there to buy (even Soggy Dollar has it). We saw it at that little store on the right at Setting Point...

Everything extra we "pay forward" either to other boaters or staff at base...
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/21/2020 02:18 PM

Shipping UPS a 10" x 10" x 10" weighing 10#'s is about $200

The USPS is less, but still expensive, and who knows when it might show up.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/21/2020 03:55 PM

If you charter out of St Thomas shipping is way cheaper via USPS Priority Mail and there is no import duty.
Posted By: DaveF

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/21/2020 04:03 PM

Is there some restrictions on type of sunscreen approved in the islands now? Something about reef protection. Some bans showing up in the states.

The Key West City Commission voted Tuesday night to ban sunscreens containing oxybenzone and octinoxate, two chemicals that have been shown to be damaging to coral reefs. Beginning in January 2021, Key West will ban such sunscreens from sale within city limits — taking a cue from Hawaii, which became the first state to pass a similar ban.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...opular-sunscreens-help-keep-coral-alive/

Dave
Posted By: Lcrich

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/21/2020 11:05 PM

Well, I have never asked TMM if we could but why not? They make everything else work! Maybe its free shipping with Prime!

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/21/2020 11:15 PM

Lcrich- probably not. Checked amazon prime and it’s a no go. Plus with TMM you have to be on site now to receive provisioning orders so I doubt they’d receive a package. It’s an awesome idea tho!
Posted By: warren460

Re: Sunscreen - buy on island? - 01/22/2020 12:32 AM

TMM sells sunscreens from the office.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline