TravelTalkOnline

White Bay JVD in E winds

Posted By: Sedona

White Bay JVD in E winds - 02/10/2020 04:22 AM

How are conditions in White Bay JVD when winds are E 20-22?
Looking for calm overnight spots for our trip this week.
Posted By: sail445

Re: White Bay JVD in E winds - 02/10/2020 08:43 AM

A couple of days this coming week the winds will be ENE, it wouldn’t be wise to overnight at White Bay because of the wrap around effect.
Posted By: Sedona

Re: White Bay JVD in E winds - 02/10/2020 11:20 AM

Thank you. Think it would be okay earlier in the week when E winds are predicted?
Alternatively— any other places on JVD that would be more protected?
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: White Bay JVD in E winds - 02/10/2020 11:33 AM

Both Great Harbor and Little Harbor are better options that White Bay. There is little room for error in White Bay. Drag anchor or mooring failure and you will be on the beach in minutes.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: White Bay JVD in E winds - 02/10/2020 12:16 PM

White Bay is only a acceptable over night in very settled weather.
Posted By: DanS

Re: White Bay JVD in E winds - 02/11/2020 02:21 AM

I was just poking around CYOA's web site, and I noticed they don't want their boats going to White Bay at all.

Look for "CYOA Out Of Bounds Guide" on this page: https://www.cyoacharters.com/downloads/

Dan cheers
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: White Bay JVD in E winds - 02/11/2020 12:59 PM


White Bay is almost never a good idea. Not during the day, and not during the night. It does not matter what your skillset is. The guy beside you that anchored on top of you will not have the same skill set. Swells and squalls are unpredictable. The holding is poor and there is simply no room for error. The hand full of moorings that are there are on single screws with poor scope. I will not take my personal boat in there. I would never take anyone else's.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: White Bay JVD in E winds - 02/11/2020 02:39 PM

To add to what Captain Jay said the Moorings in White Bay are sand screws. Because of the depth there is almost no scope to cushion the impact of wave action snapping the mooring pennant tight. They can and will pull out.
The same situation exists in CGB which is why you don’t want to be moored there in a North swell even if you find it passable on a cat from a comfort standpoint.
G
Posted By: Sedona

Re: White Bay JVD in E winds - 02/11/2020 09:14 PM

East swell is forecast this week. (Also northeast swell one day.) Are there any places in particular to avoid mooring overnight in those conditions?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: White Bay JVD in E winds - 02/11/2020 11:39 PM

A east swell in the BVI would be a very rare event. I suspect you mean the standard wind driven waves out of the East.
Posted By: sail445

Re: White Bay JVD in E winds - 02/12/2020 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sedona
East swell is forecast this week. (Also northeast swell one day.) Are there any places in particular to avoid mooring overnight in those conditions?

Sedona you mentioned previously that you had a captain and sort of insinuated that his judgment wasn’t satisfactory, obviously from your standpoint I’d like to ask what your doubts are from your Capt’s suggestions?.
Posted By: Sedona

Re: White Bay JVD in E winds - 02/12/2020 10:32 AM


No, I said initially we were bareboating and concerned about our ability. We then hired a captain and I’m sure he will be great. I’m just trying to understand the possibilities for where we may go.
NWS says E winds 15-20 remainder of week with 4 ft north swell. (I misread above— wasn’t East swell .)
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: White Bay JVD in E winds - 02/12/2020 11:30 AM

A North Swell will make Cane Garden Bay and Cooper Island lumpy. Also, possibly White Bay. 4 ft is not too bad. At 6 ft I would avoid those anchorages.
© 2021 TravelTalkOnline