TravelTalkOnline

Start day for a bareboat charter

Posted By: Nibj

Start day for a bareboat charter - 06/27/2020 07:34 PM

I have always assumed that Sunday is the most common day to start a bareboat charter from the BVI or USVI. Is that correct?

We might try a 10 day charter next June assuming all is well by then. Starting on a different day from most people sounds appealing.

Thanks
Peter
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Start day for a bareboat charter - 06/27/2020 08:30 PM

Saturday and Sunday are the big days. If I start on a weekend I just take a different route from the norm.
G
Posted By: bailau

Re: Start day for a bareboat charter - 06/27/2020 09:03 PM

I usually start Monday return Tuesday.....

Re: Start day for a bareboat charter - 06/27/2020 09:38 PM

Monday sounds like a good day to start! Thanks
Posted By: Donald

Re: Start day for a bareboat charter - 06/27/2020 11:59 PM

Every charter I've been on started with a sleep aboard Saturday and leaving Sunday and ive noticed the docks at Sunsail, moorings and DYC have been quite busy so I think you're right, that is a popular start day.

I've read that airline fares are cheaper if you fly Mondays or Tuesdays so that might be something to consider when determining your charter start day.

D
Posted By: deliveryskipper

Re: Start day for a bareboat charter - 06/28/2020 01:37 AM

If you start Tuesday or Wednesday, you will be behind the Saturday/Sunday group and find better mooring availability and less stress.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Start day for a bareboat charter - 06/28/2020 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by deliveryskipper
If you start Tuesday or Wednesday, you will be behind the Saturday/Sunday group and find better mooring availability and less stress.

Yes, starting 2-3 days off set from majority changes the landscape as far as how crowded anchorages are.

Also, as Donald pointed out, IF charter begins as a sleep aboard on Saturday and ends on Saturday, then tis is actually a 6 day charter plus a sleepabord (or 6.5 days). Some advertise this as a "Week" charter, but it is not quite a week. Just be aware when comparing "apples to apples"
Posted By: Maggiesheridan315

Re: Start day for a bareboat charter - 06/28/2020 02:33 PM

Thoughts on the clockwise route? Norman for the first night then heading to JVD or CBG? I think it may make sense if we head up to Anegada but otherwise I’m afraid we will end up beating into the wind heading to the North Sound (stop at Trellis / Scrub / Marina Cay).
Posted By: bailau

Re: Start day for a bareboat charter - 06/28/2020 02:41 PM

I am on the power side and do clockwise route usually ending up in Anegada around Friday when crowds are less. Flights are cheaper Mon - Tues (following week). If we charter from SJU to EIS sometimes I can get out Monday night even though it is technically sleep aboard since I am a frequent flyer and the base is much less crowded. I avoid all regattas and cruise ships. Much less stress...

All lessons learned the hard way or from the experts on this board
Posted By: yourcraig

Re: Start day for a bareboat charter - 06/28/2020 05:32 PM

CYOA in USVI doesn't start charters on Sundays, although they may accommodate quickly meeting you to start a sleep-aboard. If the charter company does it correctly (like CYOA does) your boat briefing and checkout can take many hours and the staff needs one day off with family. Definitely check out CYOA as you consider your options. I don't often vacation in the same spot twice, but CYOA's quality operation makes a return trip very appealing.

Re: Start day for a bareboat charter - 06/29/2020 01:53 AM

I think we started our charter with CYOA on a Sunday last year. But maybe rules have changed.

We have gone clockwise a couple of times. I think it works well to avoid crowds. But the leg from JVD to North Sound is rather long.

Peter
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Start day for a bareboat charter - 06/29/2020 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nibj
I have always assumed that Sunday is the most common day to start a bareboat charter from the BVI or USVI. Is that correct?

We always let the best flight booking drive our charter dates. Never seen a charter company that restricts Mid week starts .
Posted By: jpfitzy7

Re: Start day for a bareboat charter - 06/29/2020 03:24 PM

I'm using CYOA in November and doing a sleep aboard Saturday and starting the charter on Sunday
Posted By: Lcrich

Re: Start day for a bareboat charter - 06/29/2020 09:58 PM

We always fly into EIS so we must go thru San Juan-ugh. And that's something that you don't want to do on a weekend!!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline