Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Lon Bay Beach Resort Re-opening! - 07/10/2020 08:03 PM

It must be a comedy piece...
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: Lon Bay Beach Resort Re-opening! - 07/10/2020 11:33 PM

Whatever...
Posted By: bagsarepacked

Re: Lon Bay Beach Resort Re-opening! - 07/11/2020 01:37 PM

I hope this does happen. I stayed in a villa that had no damage the spring after Irma. Was very sad to see the resort in that state. Such a beautiful beach.
Posted By: irol

Re: Lon Bay Beach Resort Re-opening! - 07/11/2020 02:31 PM

Jason, can you elaborate...
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Lon Bay Beach Resort Re-opening! - 07/11/2020 03:03 PM

Richard and Adele are positive-thinking people. But he did get his house rebuilt.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Lon Bay Beach Resort Re-opening! - 07/13/2020 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by irol
Jason, can you elaborate...

I hope they are correct, but after spending the past 34 months rebuilding from Irma I find it very difficult to believe they will get 20 hotel rooms and a restaurant open in 5 months. That has not been my Tortola experience. I've been by there recently and there is no activity yet. To me it looks like the demo and cleanup work would take 5 months there.

I wish them luck but I'm skeptical of the timing.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Lon Bay Beach Resort Re-opening! - 07/13/2020 01:19 PM

At least labor should be more readily available than just after the storm.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Lon Bay Beach Resort Re-opening! - 07/13/2020 03:16 PM

Brian and Shamra Strange are the new owners of Long Bay and very nice folks who certainly have the resources to do this beautiful location justice ( finally). They bought and are nearly finished renovating and improving Mattei's Tavern in Los Olivos Ca. which is a historic old stage coach bar and restaurant with guest cottages. I imagine that, with that project nearly behind them, they are now concentrating on Long Bay. However long it takes ( and hard to believe they can have something open that soon) I wish them all the best. The whole west end of Tortola will greatly benefit from a well run resort with restaurants that, in the past, never lived up to expectations. I hope there is enough of a work force in the BVI's to get it done as fresh labour cannot come in yet. Lets all wish them the best and Long Live Long Bay finally!
Posted By: toast

Re: Lon Bay Beach Resort Re-opening! - 07/13/2020 04:06 PM

I agree, will be very nice to have this be "all that it could be" again someday...sooonn...ish...🤞
Posted By: Rbailey

Re: Lon Bay Beach Resort Re-opening! - 07/14/2020 09:35 PM

Anyone remember the old Long Bay hotel when Terry (can't remember his last name) owned it? It was what one would imagine a proper Caribbean hotel to be like in the old days.
Posted By: YachtReprise

Re: Lon Bay Beach Resort Re-opening! - 07/15/2020 02:51 AM

I THINK that it was Terry Smith...but not positive. And I don't think he was the owner, just the GM. He emerged in other locations over the years: The Prospect Reef restaurant (Calamaya...Callilou...can't remember?) Also, a stint at Skyworld. I wonder what's become of him! Your point is well taken! Loved the old days!
Posted By: horn46

Re: Lon Bay Beach Resort Re-opening! - 07/15/2020 12:08 PM

It was Terry Ford ,and he was only at long bay. His job was to sell real estate.
Posted By: Rbailey

Re: Lon Bay Beach Resort Re-opening! - 07/16/2020 12:34 AM

I'm pretty sure the name wasn't Smith; could have been Ford. He was at least manager; I got the impression he was more than that.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline