TravelTalkOnline

Satellite WiFi recommendations

Posted By: Pohlman62

Satellite WiFi recommendations - 09/21/2020 06:48 PM

Hope to be chartering USVI/BVI/Anegada. We have some that it is essential they are connected to WIFi 24/7 for business. Anyone have recommendations of places to rent sat wifi units and what is your experience with them? Thank you all, stay safe.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Satellite WiFi recommendations - 09/21/2020 06:55 PM

In the BVI you shouldn't need it. Just purchase the International day roaming pass from your US carrier and turn your phone into a hotspot. Decent coverage everywhere.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Satellite WiFi recommendations - 09/21/2020 07:44 PM

Agree with above. Your cell will work most locations. Between boat WiFi and cell WiFi you should not have issues. Sat wifi is expensive and I have not found it to work well.
G
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Satellite WiFi recommendations - 09/21/2020 08:45 PM

Satellite WIFI like Iridium will work, sometimes, IF you remember a dial up connection with even much slower speeds wink Internet will rarely work so Satellite WIFI is only good for compressed emails without attachments and GRIB files.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Satellite WiFi recommendations - 09/21/2020 10:57 PM

What Jason said.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Satellite WiFi recommendations - 09/22/2020 01:58 AM

T-Mobile works great, I’ve found them best Internationally. AT&T daily charges can quickly increase.
YES, use as hot-spot. If chartering w Moorings base, they have option that work well.
Posted By: MarkMN

Re: Satellite WiFi recommendations - 09/22/2020 03:02 AM

Exactly what Jason said. Get the Int'l Day Pass and you'll be covered in a vast majority of locations. Did the same our last trips.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Satellite WiFi recommendations - 09/22/2020 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by jphart
T-Mobile works great, I’ve found them best Internationally. AT&T daily charges can quickly increase.
YES, use as hot-spot. If chartering w Moorings base, they have option that work well.

Can you explain what you mean about AT&T? They have a flat $10/day fee as far as I know. I use it on Tortola with Flow and Anegada with Digicel and have always been charged $10/day.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Satellite WiFi recommendations - 09/22/2020 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
Originally Posted by jphart

Can you explain what you mean about AT&T? They have a flat $10/day fee as far as I know. I use it on Tortola with Flow and Anegada with Digicel and have always been charged $10/day.

Verizon is $10 a day as well. Works great on Anegada and while on charter last November.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline