TravelTalkOnline

UK Health Regulator approves Pfizer vaccine for use

Posted By: Jeannius

UK Health Regulator approves Pfizer vaccine for use - 12/02/2020 10:48 AM

Good morning all and I think it is a really good morning.

The UK health regulator (MHRA) has today approved the Pfizer vaccine for use within the UK. Apparently this is the first approval anywhere in the world. Why is this of interest to the BVI? Well, the UK has ordered vaccines in sufficient numbers to provide all citizens in the UK with two doses and it has also ordered sufficient doses to cover all citizens in the British Overseas Territories as well. So that covers the BVI.

While I doubt that the BVI will be top of the list for getting the deliveries it is at least a further step in the right direction cheers
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: UK Health Regulator approves Pfizer vaccine for use - 12/02/2020 12:43 PM

The tricky part would be getting it to the BVI and keeping it at -70 degrees Celsius. I think the other vaccine is less challenging logistically.
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: UK Health Regulator approves Pfizer vaccine for use - 12/02/2020 01:03 PM

Yes I imagine in reality they'll get one of the others that doesn't require such low temperature storage. The Astra Zeneca one should be approved in the next few weeks and that only needs normal refrigerator temperature.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: UK Health Regulator approves Pfizer vaccine for use - 12/03/2020 09:00 AM

Pfizer claims it's shipping container can be good for 10 days with one load of dry ice or 30 days by replenishing the ice. After that it can be stored in a normal freezer for about 5 days. That is still quite a challenge. Say the BVI ordered two rounds of 20,000 doses. Without a supply of dry ice they would have 15 days including shipping (and clearing BVI Customs) to round up every BVIslander for a shot. TWICE!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline