TravelTalkOnline

Vaccine in BVI?

Posted By: justwantanisland

Vaccine in BVI? - 12/17/2020 04:37 PM

I haven't been able to find information on when the BVI will get vaccine from the UK. Does anyone know if the UK has decided to allocate vaccines to BVI and what that looks like?
Thanks.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/17/2020 05:16 PM

Late January or February

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/17/2020 05:44 PM

thank you. Have they said if every resident of BVI will get it then or if just higher risk in first wave? Pfizer or Moderna?
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/17/2020 05:52 PM

I believe I read there will be enough vaccine for everyone, but there seems to be considerable hesitation to take it on the part of some people. Can't imagine it would be mandatory for BVI residents, so the current protocols will probably be around for some time.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/17/2020 06:01 PM

Wow, that would be something if the BVI could get it for everyone by January or February. Is that what they're saying? Compared to the US, that is really something.

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/17/2020 06:01 PM

BVI residents are hesitant to take it? why? Hopefully that subsides by time the vaccine arrives after they've seen so many people around the world getting it.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/17/2020 06:41 PM

Makes me wonder if we can go and then get vaccinated there ( as "permission to reside-ers)...
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/17/2020 06:53 PM

the UK has enough for everyone, the CARPHA vaccine is only for 20% high risk
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/17/2020 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
Makes me wonder if we can go and then get vaccinated there ( as "permission to reside-ers)...

Are you covered by the BVI NHI?

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/17/2020 07:12 PM

CARPHA is going to supply vaccine to high risk and UK is supplying enough for all residents in BVI?
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/17/2020 07:31 PM

When the procurment was announced the number of vaccines from Carpha was put at 20% for all the caribbean islands within its network.

The UK will supply for everyone who wants it 45,000 doeses of the Astra once approved will cover everyone and its supply chainof being in a fridge is much easier.

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/17/2020 08:22 PM

Sorry, 20% of what? 20% of the total population?
Posted By: ecm56

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/17/2020 09:28 PM

Yes, 20% of population.

Here is a story with more information: https://www.who.int/news-room/featu...e-access-to-anticipated-covid-19-vaccine
Posted By: sail445

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/17/2020 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Wow, that would be something if the BVI could get it for everyone by January or February. Is that what they're saying? Compared to the US, that is really something.

Really not such a big deal considering the population of the BVI is about 30,000 compared to about 110,000 for the USVI.
Posted By: bagsarepacked

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/19/2020 08:19 PM

Carol, I was at my hematologist yesterday and asked his thoughts on the vaccine. He said that the Moderna one is the one his office will be giving. When I commented that I would not be in any of the early rounds and thought it would be awhile (I am not high risk Covid) he surprised me when he said that towards the end of March he expects to be giving it out to non high risk patients. Sounds like there will be lots of availability. Time will tell

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/19/2020 08:39 PM

That makes sense, since the Moderna one does not require ultra-low temps to store. One hopes that he is correct, that non high risk patients who want it, would be able to get it by March. That would be great. People who don't want to take it can choose not to and suffer the consequences. Every medical professional that I know of has stated it is worth taking, despite risks, unless you are a person that suffers from allergic reactions.

Re: Vaccine in BVI? - 12/19/2020 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by bagsarepacked
Carol, I was at my hematologist yesterday and asked his thoughts on the vaccine. He said that the Moderna one is the one his office will be giving. When I commented that I would not be in any of the early rounds and thought it would be awhile (I am not high risk Covid) he surprised me when he said that towards the end of March he expects to be giving it out to non high risk patients. Sounds like there will be lots of availability. Time will tell

I'm assuming this hematologist is on a island?? If so, did he say when he thought he'd be getting the vaccine?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline