TravelTalkOnline

New Entry Rules!

Posted By: GeorgeC1

New Entry Rules! - 09/22/2021 11:35 AM

Beginning October 1, all fully vaccinated travelers to the BVI including cruise ship passengers and crew will no longer have to apply to enter the BVI using the BVI Gateway Entry Portal.
Premier and Finance Minister Hon. Andrew Fahie made the announcement late this evening, September 21 during the Virgin Islands Party (VIP) radio programme.

“You don’t have to worry about the portal at all if you are fully vaccinated and go through all these tests. You don’t even have to tell us you are coming, you just show up at the port you are leaving from with a negative test [no older than five days], proof of vaccination and you come and when you land you have to pay for the antigen test, right now its $50 per person,” he said.

I sure hope this is true!
G
Posted By: ecm56

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/22/2021 12:27 PM

It was reported by 284 Media and BVI Platinum last night. Nothing yet on the government site but those announcements always lag.

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/22/2021 12:31 PM

Please be true! I will schedule a Nov or Dec trip and promise to spend lots on of money!
G
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/22/2021 12:42 PM

Just in time for my November trip to Anegada!!!!
Posted By: cwoody

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/22/2021 12:43 PM

BVI Platinum Link
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/22/2021 02:50 PM

I wonder if the insurance is still required.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/22/2021 03:20 PM

Fabulous news and yes..love to hear about insurance..sounds like its off the books too..anyone?
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/22/2021 03:48 PM

It's funny, at first I was thinking that this was great news...one less hurdle to jump over but now, I'm thinking it is just going to make me more stressed because I won't know if I've done everything correctly until I arrive. For example, someone posted that they were approved through the portal using the Binax Now eMed test so we were thinking of using that for entry. Also, wondering if we need insurance now. Last time we used our Blue Cross/Shield insurance but this time we are also traveling with friends who will use a different insurance...don't know if it is the right insurance until we get there. See where I am going with this? At least with the portal, I knew I did everything right when I got my approval.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/22/2021 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by caribbeangirl13
It's funny, at first I was thinking that this was great news...one less hurdle to jump over but now, I'm thinking it is just going to make me more stressed because I won't know if I've done everything correctly until I arrive. For example, someone posted that they were approved through the portal using the Binax Now eMed test so we were thinking of using that for entry. Also, wondering if we need insurance now. Last time we used our Blue Cross/Shield insurance but this time we are also traveling with friends who will use a different insurance...don't know if it is the right insurance until we get there. See where I am going with this? At least with the portal, I knew I did everything right when I got my approval.

Based on the interview that is being quoted, it sounds like insurance is no longer a requirement for vaccinated travelers. They are trying to simplify the process to 2 simple steps; 1. travel with a negative test result within 5 days of arrival, 2. take a 2nd rapid antigen test ($50) at arrival port.

Hopefully we'll see an official release soon instead of a casual comment in a radio interview.

If you show up with an eMed test and they don't accept it I don't think it will be an issue. You are demonstrating you tested in good faith and they are retesting you anyway. Don't stress about that. Also, my BinaxNow eMed test was accepted yesterday in the portal and will be inspected on Saturday. I will update if there's an issue.
Posted By: Time Will Tell

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/22/2021 04:19 PM

Now if they would just allow the ferries to run full schedules....! lol
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/22/2021 04:51 PM

Last time we went to a clinic around the corner and got a PCR test for $50. We will do the same this time. It comes from a large, certified lab which I know is accepted. Why mess around with a self test kit to save a few bucks, but worry about it being accepted?

For returning to the US, a self-test kit is great because of the hassle of getting to Tortola to be tested within the three-day window.

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/22/2021 06:21 PM

[quote=RatmansWife]Last time we went to a clinic around the corner and got a PCR test for $50. We will do the same this time. It comes from a large, certified lab which I know is accepted. Why mess around with a self test kit to save a few bucks, but worry about it being accepted?

Because I live in a small mountain town in Colorado and our turn around rate is not great for tests. We have to drive 2 hours to Denver to get a test done that meets all the BVI requirements.
Posted By: NoelHall

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/22/2021 07:36 PM

Have you checked with Walgreens in Avon? Our folks have been using CVS and Walgreens in our home states for rapid antigen tests, and when the results are posted (usually within a few hours) we save a screen shot on our phones and print a hard copy.

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/23/2021 12:49 AM

Yes. They don't do the rapid up here at our Walgreens and the PCR they say (last time I checked) could take anywhere from 3-5 days. I will check again, though. For our last trip we had to go to National Jewish in Denver in order to meet all the criteria.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/23/2021 02:00 AM

It's worth asking around. The place we go is owned and run by a nurse practitioner. The bulk of their business seems to be giving hormone replacement shots to older men. The lab work is sent out, but certainly not as far away as it sounds you are. We could go to a big hospital, but this is very convenient and the woman who runs it will track down delayed results.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/23/2021 02:45 AM

We have an early November trip planned and are also excited at this news!
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/23/2021 11:09 AM

In addition to the new BVI entry rules, the USA will start allowing Europeans to transit via US airports in November, something that hasn't been possible for the past year and half. That opens up several more possibilities for getting to the BVI.

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/23/2021 11:23 AM

Anything official out yet on the new policy?
Posted By: crmoores

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/23/2021 02:57 PM

So the release said that fully vaccinated cruise ship pax would need to show a negative test no older than 5 days, and take an antigen test as they disembark?
Posted By: picaflores

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/23/2021 03:03 PM

I emailed Henrietta Alexandre, who deals with the portal at the Environmental Health Division, asking if this had been made official yet.
She replied that it hasn't, and to wait until it has been gazetted before planning travel accordingly....
Posted By: Manpot

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/23/2021 03:16 PM

Got to believe its true..please! I have to chortle..no more portal for this happy mortal.
Posted By: ecm56

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/23/2021 08:15 PM

Nothing yet
in the official gazette.
Posted By: BVIAddict

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/27/2021 04:20 AM

Have you tried in Avon? My son gets tested there all the time and we usually get results in hours.

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/27/2021 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by BVIAddict
Have you tried in Avon? My son gets tested there all the time and we usually get results in hours.

The Walgreens in Avon is not a testing site. They are too understaffed.

Good news is that Colorado Mountain Medical now has a CLIA approved lab and since the BVI is now accepting rapid antigen testing I can go there.

Re: New Entry Rules! - 09/27/2021 04:32 PM

Pulled the Trigger without officially seeing the new rules. Will be down 27 Nov to 5 Dec. Badly need another BVI fix and some diving and sailing.
G
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline