TravelTalkOnline

Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits

Posted By: ecm56

Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 10/25/2021 07:21 PM

A poster on one of the Facebook sites for the BVI made me aware that the Abbott’s "BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag At-Home Test Kit w/Telehealth" which have recently been unavailable from eMed are available from Abbott directly at https://www.binaxnow.us/shop.

They are selling 1, 2, 3, or 6 test kits.

I have not heard what the expiration is on these tests - I will update if/when I find out.

They continue to be available from Optum at:

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/

and

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-3-pack/

with the caveat that these tests may expire as soon as December 21, 2021.

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 10/26/2021 02:07 PM

Abbott replied to let me know the tests they are currently selling also expire in December (similar to the tests available from Optum).

Attached picture Screenshot_20211026-094637.png
Posted By: Jim B

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/08/2021 11:55 PM

Is this a test you would bring to BVI to use there to get home, or use before you go to BVI and bring the results?
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/08/2021 11:58 PM

Bring them to get back... BVI officially does not accept the rapid test for entry though some have reported having gotten by with it. I wouldn't chance it. Easy enough to get a PCR test before leaving home.

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/09/2021 12:51 AM

And an update - eMed (one of the sources of these test kits) e-mailed me to let me know the test kits they are selling now have an expiration date of February 1.
Posted By: jagmansr

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/09/2021 02:02 AM

Myself and my crew used the BinaxNow Hone test with NAVICA app to leave from Ohio, to St Thomas and ferry to BVI and than a second test to renter St Thomas from the BVI. We did this a week and a half ago. Only way I’ll do it now.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/09/2021 12:58 PM

I also used them to travel to Ohio and then back to the BVI. No issues.

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/10/2021 02:03 AM

Ok, so I go to my local CVS for a "Molecular lab test (PCR / NAAT)" as it says on their web site. That should get me into BVI.
If I choose not to bring a test kit, how do I get a Covid test on Tortola before I head home?

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/10/2021 12:14 PM

Here are a few options

Attached picture exit test locations.jpg

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/10/2021 01:44 PM

How long does it take to get results? I'd rather be sailing than returning to RT days earlier than I need to.

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/10/2021 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jim B
How long does it take to get results? I'd rather be sailing than returning to RT days earlier than I need to.

You take the test and the proctor sets a 15 minute timer. When the timer goes off, a new proctor will join your session to interpret the results.

The results are updated in the app immediately and the lab report comes to your email a few minutes later.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/10/2021 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht

You take the test and the proctor sets a 15 minute timer. When the timer goes off, a new proctor will join your session to interpret the results.

The results are updated in the app immediately and the lab report comes to your email a few minutes later.

Jason, based on your experience, is the results in the app good enough at the airport? Or do I need to print the results?

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/10/2021 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by ndfaninnc
Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht

Jason, based on your experience, is the results in the app good enough at the airport? Or do I need to print the results?

No, you need the lab report that comes in an email. You can probably show it on your phone if you need to.

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/10/2021 05:56 PM

That's correct. We took a picture on the email results on our phone and showed that at the airport.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/10/2021 06:07 PM

I would personally ALWAYS have a printed out copy of test results. We have all had that experience of a grumpy immigration agent--regardless of the country involved. I foresee someone getting their back up because they don't want to handle or look at your phone. Or, god forbid, your battery dies and you can't pull up the file. Have a printed copy available.

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/10/2021 06:17 PM

My greatest fear - dead battery on the phone and I'm in line. I ALWAYS bring printed copies along.

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/10/2021 06:23 PM

I agree it is nice to have a printed copy and when traveling and I carry both printed and pictures in my phone when going to the BVI. However, on the trip back, we don't have assess to a printers so we rely on phones. We also carry battery chargers so we can always give a phone a charge if needed. AND I've dealt with the national guard 4 times in the last 12 weeks in St Thomas and they have always been both friendly and helpful

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/11/2021 12:01 AM

Thanks for your help, but I meant to ask how long it takes to get results if I go the any of the RT Covid testing places. I found three within walking distance of Maria's where I'll be staying before and after the sail on a 46' catamaran.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/11/2021 01:38 AM

Do you need each person taking the test to download the app and open a account or can you do multiple tests for different people off the same account?

Re: Another Source for proctored BinaxNOW test kits - 11/11/2021 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
Do you need each person taking the test to download the app and open a account or can you do multiple tests for different people off the same account?

You don't actually need the app for the test but everyone needs an account.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline