TravelTalkOnline

Best overnight bay/cove

Posted By: bricksmythe

Best overnight bay/cove - 11/11/2021 07:33 PM

Chartering in April. Need recommendations on your favorite overnight anchorage in the Scrub Is./Beef Is./Camanoe/Marina Cay area. Not looking for a slip. Mooring field/anchor only. Thanks!
Posted By: Volle Maan

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/11/2021 07:36 PM

We always did well mooring in Trellis Bay and off of Marina Cay.
Posted By: Kegoangoango

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/12/2021 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Volle Maan
We always did well mooring in Trellis Bay and off of Marina Cay.

X2. Recommend Trellis over Marina, as the Scrub island shuttle runs just off the mooring field and sends a wake through the field until 10 or so at night (at least it did the last time I was there in 2019].
Posted By: Husker

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/12/2021 11:33 AM

My lean is to Marina Cay as you are right next to Diamond reef and some amazing snorkeling. yeah, the Scrub Island shuttles are a little annoying.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/12/2021 01:02 PM

How are the balls at Marina Cay? Last I heard they were in questionable shape.
Posted By: jagmansr

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/12/2021 01:20 PM

We used a mooring ball at Marina Key 10 weeks ago and last week while at Trellis Bay there were 3 boats at Marina Key
Posted By: RickG

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/12/2021 01:21 PM

We're looking forward to getting back to the quiet Guana Island anchorage.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/12/2021 01:22 PM

Have not seen evidence of the MC balls being maintained. Depending on the weather, anchoring in Cam or Lee Bay is a possibility.

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/14/2021 11:47 AM

We were at MC in July and the balls looked okay to me. Most were being used. We'll there later this week and will report conditions.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/14/2021 12:13 PM

Unless there has been a change since July the balls at Marina Key have been unmaintained since Irma. I picked one up in June and dove it and another ball. The shackles look pretty questionable. 4 years is a long time without maintenance. It’s surprising they don’t maintain the balls and start collecting the fees. There is a lot of money to be made there.
G
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/14/2021 12:48 PM

Agree George - we checked them out in July and weren’t feeling good about things so passed. Wish they were being taken care of! Looking forward to your report Husker - we arrive the following week.
Posted By: GreatLakes2Sea

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/17/2021 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Husker
My lean is to Marina Cay as you are right next to Diamond reef and some amazing snorkeling. yeah, the Scrub Island shuttles are a little annoying.

We stayed there on a mooring in April also to be closer to the reef
... however agree that the moorings did not look maintained. The first one we picked up and subsequently dove on, we released and moved to another in the field as it looked a bit questionable.
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/17/2021 01:38 PM

Is there anyone collecting mooring fees at MC?
Surprised Boaty Ball has not jumped on this.

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/17/2021 01:49 PM

No one is collecting or maintaining. They have been abandoned since Irma. The pennants don’t look horrible but 4 years is a long time for the ground tackle. There is anchoring room.
G

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/17/2021 05:58 PM

The same people collecting at Trellis collect Marina Cay

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/17/2021 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by jagmansr
The same people collecting at Trellis collect Marina Cay

No one collected when I was there. You may have been scammed a bit unless Trellis has acquired the seabed licenses. If so they should be maintaining the balls.

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/17/2021 07:34 PM

We got “real” receipts. Who knows. We may have been scammed but it was still the $30 we should have paid anyway. Just to show our appreciation of being fortunate to be in the BVI and knowing the financial loss Covid has played, we heavily over tip.

Re: Best overnight bay/cove - 11/19/2021 11:35 AM

We were at Diamond Reef a couple days ago and hooked up to one of the three day balls at the reef. I didn't see any boats on the Marina Cay balls and we didn't stay there that night and didn't have a chance to check them out. Sorry. I will check around and report back if there is any info on the maintenance status.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline