TravelTalkOnline

visiting Little Dix by dinghy?

Posted By: MrEZgoin

visiting Little Dix by dinghy? - 11/22/2021 12:26 AM

We are anchored in Long Bay. Wondering if it is possible to visit Little Dix for coffee or lunch by dinghy? Thanks.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: visiting Little Dix by dinghy? - 11/22/2021 12:53 AM

I am curious EZ - how many boats are in Long Bay tonight?

Re: visiting Little Dix by dinghy? - 11/22/2021 01:07 AM

At dusk we thought we were going to have it to ourselves, then 3 other boats came in and dropped anchor.... all on the larger side. Sail cat, power cat and a yacht (something like "Angeleyes") bordering on superyacht. That one is one of the few large yachts we've seen consistently in the covid dry spell.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: visiting Little Dix by dinghy? - 11/22/2021 01:40 AM

Long bay is a 5 mile roundtrip. That’s a bit further than I would want to go in a standard charterboat dinghy. If your dinghy will plane with the number of people you want to take might be doable on a nice day.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: visiting Little Dix by dinghy? - 11/22/2021 01:47 AM

Sorry that you were not able to have it to yourself EZ - we spent many magical nights anchored there in March with no other boats in sight. I think we saw the mini mega yacht you are referring to in June/July off JVD.

Re: visiting Little Dix by dinghy? - 11/22/2021 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
Long bay is a 5 mile roundtrip. That’s a bit further than I would want to go in a standard charterboat dinghy. If your dinghy will plane with the number of people you want to take might be doable on a nice day.

Just the two of us, and with the 15 hp it will plane easily. Is there a dinghy dock? Channel through the reef?
Wondering if we will be at all welcome.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: visiting Little Dix by dinghy? - 11/22/2021 12:05 PM

It’s been a long time since I was in there. You enter on the right and there was a single dock. Don’t know if it survived Irma. We were not welcomed but brought the boat in. Maybe a place Boatyball should look into!
Posted By: Rush

Re: visiting Little Dix by dinghy? - 11/22/2021 02:15 PM

I would be surprised if they would permit access via dinghy, but would be curious what you learn. We were there a month ago and made lunch reservations, but came in from Spanish Town - easy to grab a ball there, dinghy to marina and take a very short cab. Little Dix was very specific about the time for the reservation and we showed up 20 minutes early to grab a drink. After a little wait, they did let us in and sat us down early. Food and service was incredible and resort was spectacular. You could also purchase a day pass for the resort, much like what Oil Nut used to permit.

Re: visiting Little Dix by dinghy? - 11/22/2021 05:09 PM

Well I called them and was informed that they were booked out for lunch and breakfast had ended so there were no coffee options. Didn't sound very welcome to say the least :-)

I thought I might paddle board there from our anchorage, and I made it as far as Savannah but thought better of going all the way since the return from Tom Tom pt would have been upwind. As it was I was plenty tired from the 4.5 miles round trip. I had already paddled at Mountain Point in the morning and my wife and I snorkeled at the Kodiak Queen.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline