TravelTalkOnline

New BVI COVID Case Update

Posted By: MIDiver

New BVI COVID Case Update - 12/30/2021 07:16 PM

Just saw today's update - 357 active cases now. Jason and those in the BVI - any talk of changing protocols? Trying to keep informed as we are (hopefully!) arriving soon.

I saw that Gov. Bryan is holding another press conference tomorrow in the USVI (they reported 993 cases yesterday).....
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 12/30/2021 07:23 PM

It seems like it's full steam ahead with the Old Year's super spreader events. However, you can't walk ten feet without being told to sanitize your hands, and most people are pretty good about wearing masks.

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 12/30/2021 07:26 PM

It's surprising that they are allowing the large events (like Foxy's) to go forward. Ah well.....we shall see.....

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 12/31/2021 09:17 PM

423 cases as of 2 pm today.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 12/31/2021 09:32 PM

On VG things are going on as usual but yes, they are very strict about sanitizer. Parties still happening tonight.
More talk of places being understaffed or closing due to outbreaks ( Nova). Haven't heard of curfews or mandated closings yet.
Bitter End was packed yesterday and they were having a hard time keeping up. There were only two waitresses on and my heart went out to them. If you plan on going, make reservations as they were turning people away even for lunch.

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 12/31/2021 09:45 PM

Thanks For the update Skip - I think that I will throw in a few extra frozen steaks in case we end up cooking more meals on the boat……

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 12/31/2021 09:59 PM

Sebastian's has joined the slow food movement - took over an hour to get eggs for breakfast yesterday! Finally said something. Was told they have a new chef and "Some chefs are faster than others". There were only four tables. It seems businesses are having trouble finding good staff locally.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 12/31/2021 10:03 PM

If you like meat for breakfast, ie bacon or sausage throw that it too. Wiped clean! Not even the restaurants have it.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 12/31/2021 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by RatmansWife
Sebastian's has joined the slow food movement - took over an hour to get eggs for breakfast yesterday! Finally said something. Was told they have a new chef and "Some chefs are faster than others". There were only four tables. It seems businesses are having trouble finding good staff locally.

Sebastian's is notoriously slow and the old staff chases away anyone new with new ideas and better customer service. Change in work permit rules, COVID closures, and extra fees on expats has pushed a lot of labour out of the country. Now the economy will suffer as everyone fights for the same limited staff.

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 12/31/2021 11:00 PM

Jason, we've eaten at Sebastian's many times, and enjoy hearing the surf as we wait. This was ridiculous. It probably took the waitress close to fifteen minutes just to bring coffee. Ratman wanted to go to Sugar Mill, but I prevailed. We won't be going back.

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/01/2022 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by RatmansWife
Jason, we've eaten at Sebastian's many times, and enjoy hearing the surf as we wait. This was ridiculous. It probably took the waitress close to fifteen minutes just to bring coffee. Ratman wanted to go to Sugar Mill, but I prevailed. We won't be going back.

Sorry you had this experience. Sugarmill is usually a no-fail but not really my favorite. We do love Tramonti on the beach. Are you Da Coal Pot fans?

If you want to venture to CGB, don't miss the food at Indigo Beach House or Paradise (I know...).

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/03/2022 11:40 PM

As of 5 pm today, there are 601 cases, 12 people in hospital and one additional death, bringing the BVI Covid death total to 40.

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/04/2022 12:31 AM

So very sad to hear. We arrived yesterday. Definitely fewer boats than I expected so far.

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/04/2022 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by MIDiver
So very sad to hear. We arrived yesterday. Definitely fewer boats than I expected so far.

This is traditionally a slow week. From now until February is a shoulder season with less arrivals.

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/04/2022 01:44 PM

Thanks Jason - we have never been here in early Jan and was expecting this week to be busy as it immediately follows the holiday week - good to know for future planning.

Stay well!!

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/04/2022 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by MIDiver
Thanks Jason - we have never been here in early Jan and was expecting this week to be busy as it immediately follows the holiday week - good to know for future planning.

Stay well!!

It's a great time to visit with some of the best weather of the year, less people, and everything open!
Posted By: Husker

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/04/2022 03:50 PM

You mean 'fewer' people? :-) wink

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/04/2022 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Husker
You mean 'fewer' people? :-) wink

Do I? Where is the middle finger emoji? Get a life.

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/04/2022 04:43 PM

I was totally joking, Jason. That's on me it didn't come off that way. Please accept my apology.
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/04/2022 04:46 PM

Hiusker, time to join EMA - English Majors Anonymous. I'm a long-time member. One day at a time.

doh

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/04/2022 05:19 PM

I was totally joking, Jason. That's on me it didn't come off that way. Please accept my apology.

dine
Posted By: Manpot

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/04/2022 07:58 PM

Heading back home to Little Apple Bay towards the end of Jan and wondering what the "immigration crystal ball" might tell us about entry requirements and portals...
Posted By: Midsouth

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/04/2022 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht

dine

This is what it looks like when adults miscommunicate. Bravo

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/04/2022 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Midsouth
Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht

dine

This is what it looks like when adults miscommunicate. Bravo

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/07/2022 12:05 AM

958 cases with 12 in hospital. I'm starting to hear of cancelled trips.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/07/2022 12:30 AM

Unless it breaks soon it’s hard to plan a trip. The odds of no one testing positive in a crew going or coming are getting higher and higher.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/07/2022 12:58 AM

2,875 cases active in USVI -- Jan 05 --- no decline in #s so far

https://www.covid19usvi.com/covid19-report
Posted By: vytis104

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/07/2022 04:55 PM

I sure hope nothing changes. We are scheduled to come down in three weeks. All 6 of us have recently recovered from COVID and cant imagine a better way to celebrate than on a yacht in the BVI.

Re: New BVI COVID Case Update - 01/07/2022 05:30 PM

I'm with you, vytis104. We are headed down Feb 1. Flying in to Beef and doing a BinaxNow proctored home test the day before to avoid the possibility of getting a positive test on arrival. Some risk of getting stuck for the return trip home if anyone tests positive. Worth the risk, in our case. I can understand for some that might not be an acceptable risk.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline