TravelTalkOnline

How Crowded So Far?

Posted By: Jon Resnick

How Crowded So Far? - 01/29/2022 12:45 AM

So I'm deep into planning our 21 day charter in March and just wondering what kind of crowds people are seeing in the mooring fields.
I know in years past March was pretty busy and you had to race to snag a ball early at the popular anchorages. How are things lately?
jr
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 01/29/2022 01:33 AM

Our most recent trip was Jan 2-18. We just missed the holiday crowds and were there in the “lull”. The only mooring field that was a you know what show consistently was Great Harbor JVD. Moorings were available in all other fields. I expect things will start picking up again, if they haven’t already so maybe pose your question again in a few weeks.
Posted By: vytis104

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 01/31/2022 03:08 PM

Just came back yesterday. Not too busy. Dont plan on using Boaty Ball anywhere unless you pay the $500 upgrade for 48 hour reservation, even then you may get shut out of the smaller anchorages.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 01/31/2022 05:14 PM

A note on Great Harbor. It tends to be crowded on Friday and Saturday but not bad the rest of the week. This is because a natural charter progression has lots of boats there finishing up in the Jost area and Foxy’s does the BBque those days.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 01/31/2022 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
A note on Great Harbor. It tends to be crowded on Friday and Saturday but not bad the rest of the week. This is because a natural charter progression has lots of boats there finishing up in the Jost area and Foxy’s does the BBque those days.

It is also busy on Wednesday and Thursday with folks that come to the JVD clinic for testing. They tend to come in Wednesday to test early Thursday morning with many staying a day or two.
Posted By: vytis104

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 01/31/2022 09:10 PM

Great Harbor is over rated anyway, and is an anchorage I will avoid in the future.

Foxy's and Soggy have been ruined. Avoid them.

Olga at Gertrudes was practically in tears when we made our last min dinner res. We were her only res for the evening. Foxys has seating for 800 these days. The places that used to make a living on spillover are truly struggling.

Foxy's isnt a Caribbean bar anymore, its more like Key West meets Disney; and the music is more like a shitty DJ at a VFW wedding. If I have to hear Bruno Mars, Frank Sinatra and Journey at one more BVI Beach Bar I might not go to shore anymore. SDB is just as bad. Its laughable. Bro, you can get the same vibe in Ft Lauderdale.

Gertrudes, One Love, BLine, Sydneys and Harris' place deserve your business. Let SDB and Foxy's cater to the cruiseships and have their souls gutted.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 02/01/2022 12:28 AM

Wow -- Wonder where all the people that ruined Soggy Dollar and Foxys came from over the years??
Posted By: Breeze

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 02/01/2022 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by LocalSailor
Wow -- Wonder where all the people that ruined Soggy Dollar and Foxys came from over the years??

They all came from Damfino, and everyone knows where that is.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 02/01/2022 05:24 AM

Well Maybe --- Damfino is the name of Buster keaton's boat in his hilarious 1921 short film -- The Boat.
Posted By: bailau

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 02/01/2022 01:35 PM

Agree Foxy's is long in the tooth...disagree SDB is in the same category although it is different then pre Irma. The cruise ships in White bay for the most part stay in there designated facility on the beach.

Hendo's is terrific.
Posted By: Husker

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 02/05/2022 02:27 PM

Quite a few boats in the Saba/BEYC mooring field yesterday, but still plenty of balls available. Practically empty at CGB this morning....just 3 other boats here with us. Pretty big seas coming over from Marina Cay yesterday (~ 8 to 12 feet) and I think everyone must have hunkered down where they were...which wasn't here.

We were at Leverick Bay Tuesday....about half full there. Anegada was pretty full on Wednesday. I'm hearing the charter bookings are quite full through Feb, March, April so I would expect most of the popular spots to be relatively full the rest of the season.

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 02/05/2022 02:56 PM

The Moorings bookings are very strong. April 15 into May and June are almost fully booked for big cats.

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 02/05/2022 04:53 PM

The Moorings bookings are very strong. April 15 into May and June are almost fully booked for big cats.

Is the boat supply back to 100%?

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 02/05/2022 07:17 PM

I think it’s very close. If you want to purchase a new boat it’s like a two year wait list. Kind of limits your negotiating options.

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 02/05/2022 08:32 PM

I think it’s very close. If you want to purchase a new boat it’s like a two year wait list. Kind of limits your negotiating options.

Have a boat...only need 1 of those...LOL

when we were down in June it was clear that the full fleet of 514PCs were not in the BVIs and wondering if they had brought them back

Re: How Crowded So Far? - 02/06/2022 01:27 AM

There were a bunch at the base in Dec. There were also several of the new 53 powercats. I am not a stinkboater but wow!
G
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline