TravelTalkOnline

Mayday off Peter Is

Posted By: Husker

Mayday off Peter Is - 02/10/2022 04:40 PM

We heard a chilling mayday call this last Monday for a vessel in distress off Peter Island. All we could pick up was the USCG side of the conversation. We couldn't hear the location other than off Peter Island and we were about 5 miles away. It was cancelled shortly after we initially heard it. We heard later it had turned into a body recovery. Sobering to hear. Word around the dock is that it was an older couple on a mono-hull and the captain went up to fix rigging and fell overboard. His wife knew nothing about boating nor how to call for help. It took her an hour to get in touch with the charter company who contacted VISAR. She was flown out and the boat was recovered. So sad and scary to hear. I'm getting this 3rd hand. If anyone out there has better info, please share.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Mayday off Peter Is - 02/10/2022 06:34 PM

75 year old man fell overboard from a Moorings boat according to reports I'm getting..
Posted By: Sandsailsun

Re: Mayday off Peter Is - 02/10/2022 07:21 PM

My heart is breaking for this poor family .

Captain Ward and I just reviewed “what would you do if “ scenarios

Been a few years since we sailed and did so just the two of us a lot.

Tragedies like this remind me not to be too upset with him when he wants to do man over board drills .

What are the key “ what would you do if “ scenarios you captains do with your crew ?
Posted By: 706jim

Re: Mayday off Peter Is - 02/10/2022 08:58 PM

Tragic. And a reminder to wear a lifejacket when leaving the cockpit. A foam lifejacket (not an inflatable) that you KNOW will work.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline