TravelTalkOnline

Covid Test for Departure

Posted By: Daisy304

Covid Test for Departure - 02/17/2022 02:49 PM

What are the options for covid testing for departure. Planning a trip in 2 weeks and trying to put it all together quickly. TIA!
Posted By: CarolinaSailor

Re: Covid Test for Departure - 02/17/2022 03:08 PM

Departure from where to where? Right now you have to consider testing both ways-going and returning. What works best here in the US, IMHO, is the fast antigen test that is proctored. An example of this is the Abbott BinaxNow test, available through several sellers like Optum and Emed. There are others available, but this forum's collective wisdom indicates this has been the most widely used. Plus they FedEx it to you.

Why a fast antigen text? First and foremost, you are in control. You do not have to worry about getting your results in time. You test when you want to a day before travel. Takes 15 minutes a person. You do not waste valuable vacation time going on shore (if sailing), paying more to test. Only need Wi-Fi access and smart phone to take test. Plus, if test is positive you can retest to make sure it is not a false positive, something you can not do if using BVI testing. You do not need to print results, just take screen shot of results from the Navica app and save on phone for upload to a portal or to show health immigration.

I recommend testing the morning before travel in case you have travel issues and are delayed a day, the test is still good. Also recommend having an extra test per person. Just in case.

Hope this helps, good luck with planning.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Covid Test for Departure - 02/17/2022 03:52 PM

If you do a simple search, you'll find many threads about this. The subject has been beaten to death the past few months.
Posted By: Daisy304

Re: Covid Test for Departure - 02/17/2022 07:44 PM

Sorry that I was vague. It is for leaving Tortola to STT by ferry. Looking for options. I was planning on bringing the Binax NOW tests along and figuring that all out. Someone I know just returned and had a doctor come to their unit for 125 each he was 45 minutes late getting there. Then I was told about the hospital in Roadtown but don't want to take beach time away from my day!
Posted By: Husker

Re: Covid Test for Departure - 02/17/2022 07:55 PM

The Binax NOW home proctored test is the easiest way. Buy them in the US before you travel and take extras.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Covid Test for Departure - 02/17/2022 10:54 PM

Binax Now proctored is the way to go. We did ours two days ahead, so that, should we get a positive, we would have more time to cancel. Some tickets require 24 hours notice for penalty-free cancellation.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Covid Test for Departure - 02/18/2022 11:05 AM

If you are leaving Tortola by ferry for St Thomas you can take the tests 5 days ahead.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Covid Test for Departure - 02/18/2022 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinaSailor
Departure from where to where? Right now you have to consider testing both ways-going and returning. What works best here in the US, IMHO, is the fast antigen test that is proctored. An example of this is the Abbott BinaxNow test, available through several sellers like Optum and Emed. There are others available, but this forum's collective wisdom indicates this has been the most widely used. Plus they FedEx it to you.

Why a fast antigen text? First and foremost, you are in control. You do not have to worry about getting your results in time. You test when you want to a day before travel. Takes 15 minutes a person. You do not waste valuable vacation time going on shore (if sailing), paying more to test. Only need Wi-Fi access and smart phone to take test. Plus, if test is positive you can retest to make sure it is not a false positive, something you can not do if using BVI testing. You do not need to print results, just take screen shot of results from the Navica app and save on phone for upload to a portal or to show health immigration.

I recommend testing the morning before travel in case you have travel issues and are delayed a day, the test is still good. Also recommend having an extra test per person. Just in case.

Hope this helps, good luck with planning.

All good advice:
1) Emed
2) Testing time
3) Extra Test

Fairly simple if you follow this advice.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline