TravelTalkOnline

Rain: Should I worry?

Posted By: MrEZgoin

Rain: Should I worry? - 04/29/2022 09:49 AM

I'm looking at windguru which is predicting 18mm/hr of precipitation midday tomorrow.

Trying to find out what that actually means, I'm seeing 4-8mm/hr being defined as heavy rain, and over 8mm/hr as very heavy rain.

So the forecast is for something rather more than double very heavy rainfall.
I'm a little concerned that I could be facing something far outside my experience in 20+ trips to the BVI.

Our plan was to stay on a mooring ball here at BEYC. Advice? TIA

EDIT: Predictwind doesn't exactly corroborate this dire prediction, maybe this is just a data error?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Rain: Should I worry? - 04/29/2022 11:14 AM

I don’t see anything that would keep me on a ball all day. Thunderstorms possible in the afternoon probably account for the heavy rain part of your forecast but they will be short lived. I wouldn’t spend the day in White Bay, JVD but other than that would do whatever you have planned. There is good radar coverage in the BVI to get a good look at what thunderstorms are doing and where they are moving.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Rain: Should I worry? - 04/29/2022 11:25 AM

Follow BVI Disaster Management on Facebook. Good updates

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...35483989&m_entstream_source=timeline
Posted By: Matt W

Re: Rain: Should I worry? - 04/29/2022 12:47 PM

There's a trough moving into the cruising area with increased rain and t-storm chances. 2-4 inches through Sunday. If you want to keep an eye on the t-storms, download the RadarScope app. $10/year and you get hi-res doppler and the ability to see your location/heading on the map.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Rain: Should I worry? - 04/29/2022 04:30 PM

"BVI Disaster Management" has a whole new meaning with the Fahie debacle!
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Rain: Should I worry? - 04/29/2022 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Matt W
There's a trough moving into the cruising area with increased rain and t-storm chances. 2-4 inches through Sunday. If you want to keep an eye on the t-storms, download the RadarScope app. $10/year and you get hi-res doppler and the ability to see your location/heading on the map.

Thanks for the tip, got it.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline