TravelTalkOnline

24 degree gradient

Posted By: ggffrr11

24 degree gradient - 07/10/2022 12:54 PM

The day before our bareboat charters, we have, several times, rented a vehicle and taken the road (Elevator road?) that is East of Nanny Cay "up and over the top" of Tortola over to Cane Garden Bay. Several times, I have been unsure the car was going to make it up the incline. This not only scares the newbies, but also, seems to put the fear of God into everyone in the car.

Anyway, this past week, I was watching the Tour de France. The finishing section for one of the Tour's stages had a 24 degree incline. On television, the climb was difficult to fully appreciate. So, I used the "ridegps" web site to try and experience what 24 degrees implies. The incline up Tortola's Elevator road, which seems "straight up", is 23 degrees according to the web site. So, it would be like climbing up Elevator road on a bicycle.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: 24 degree gradient - 07/10/2022 01:12 PM

Wow, thanks for posting! For anyone who has been on that road, that is something! And especially something for couch potatoes like me! laugh
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: 24 degree gradient - 07/10/2022 03:39 PM

Thanks for that information - it certainly puts that tour de France climb in perspective. I've done the "Elevator" in the rain in a rental with less-than-optimal tire treads and despite 4WD it was a bit nerve-wracking! I've got several picture of the slope, but just like waves at sea they just don't show the true incline!
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: 24 degree gradient - 07/11/2022 02:51 PM

I've RUN up that road and will tell you, it is not fun! On a bike, well, that would not be very pleasant... wink
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline