TravelTalkOnline

Wed-Wed vs Sat-Sat Charter

Posted By: CaptRobear

Wed-Wed vs Sat-Sat Charter - 10/07/2022 04:39 AM

Planning a late May 2023 charter out of Tortola, flying into STT then ferry or PWT to Roadtown. On previous trips we always did a Sat-Sat charter, so flew in on Fri and back out on Saturday. This time planning Wed-Wed charter flying in on Tuesday and out on Wed. QUESTION: Would there be any reason to think we would experience less airport and ferry crowd issues? Also in light of Wed-Wed charter, any thoughts on clockwise or counterclockwise route itenerary thru the islands? We’ve always done CCW. Thanks
Posted By: CarolinaSailor

Re: Wed-Wed vs Sat-Sat Charter - 10/07/2022 11:05 AM

We always do a Tues thru Thurs charter. Crowds are much diminished, both on ferries and in airport (STT). We also do CCW, but having just done this in June, don't expect less crowded mooring situation, there are just more people boating the BVI's post-covid.
So either plan on using BoatyBall, anchoring, or getting to harbors earlier. My thinking is the pent-up demand will lessen over time, but probably not for a few years.
Posted By: Time Will Tell

Re: Wed-Wed vs Sat-Sat Charter - 10/07/2022 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinaSailor
We always do a Tues thru Thurs charter. Crowds are much diminished, both on ferries and in airport (STT). We also do CCW, but having just done this in June, don't expect less crowded mooring situation, there are just more people boating the BVI's post-covid.
So either plan on using BoatyBall, anchoring, or getting to harbors earlier. My thinking is the pent-up demand will lessen over time, but probably not for a few years.

What CarolinaSailor said!

As far as clockwise or counter its really a personal preference question - where do you want to get to first. Unless you are trying to time a specific place on Saturday or Sunday to try to take advantage of the boat turnarounds (you might see a slight dip those days) it really wont matter much - and the mooring situations will very similar!

Have fun! The hard part for me is always the waiting!

Keep Smiling!!!
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Wed-Wed vs Sat-Sat Charter - 10/07/2022 02:00 PM

You couldn't pay me to deal with STT on a Saturday.
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Wed-Wed vs Sat-Sat Charter - 10/07/2022 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by CaptRobear
any thoughts on clockwise or counterclockwise route itinerary thru the islands? We’ve always done CCW. Thanks

If it is blowing like stink on the first couple of days, we head west downwind towards JVD out of Roadtown instead of beating into the wind all day towards VG, and so starts a CW trip. Hopefully winds let up for the trip east. Otherwise CCW for us as well.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Wed-Wed vs Sat-Sat Charter - 10/09/2022 03:14 PM

Nothing reduces completion for mooring balls like getting out of synch from the usual weekend starts. Starting mid-week accomplishes this.
Also Airport and ferry (and water taxi) competition less.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Wed-Wed vs Sat-Sat Charter - 10/09/2022 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Deepcut
Nothing reduces completion for mooring balls like getting out of synch from the usual weekend starts. Starting mid-week accomplishes this.

... except perhaps a global pandemic :-)
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Wed-Wed vs Sat-Sat Charter - 10/10/2022 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by MrEZgoin
Originally Posted by Deepcut

... except perhaps a global pandemic :-)

How right you are! I survived that too.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline