TravelTalkOnline

USVI to BVI Bereboat Charter

Posted By: TC42

USVI to BVI Bereboat Charter - 10/19/2022 11:44 PM

We are planning a charter for summer of 2023. What's the latest on the ability to charter a boat in the USVI, cross over to BVI and then return to USVI? I know during COVID that was shut down but is that now an option? I know that the boat has to have certain certificates to allow for the passage but I'm trying to figure out if the governments are now allowing it. If it isn't happening now, any idea if it will be allowed by next summer? I did see the note regarding the two governments trying to work together to make this an easier endeavor but I haven't seen any update. Thx for your thoughts.
Posted By: RickG

Re: USVI to BVI Bereboat Charter - 10/20/2022 02:55 PM

I would reach out to WayPoints to see where they are the process. I know they are working on it. usvi@waypoints.com

The USVI Governor and BVI Premier had a press conference on 9/22 and promised an MOU that addresses boating by 10/22. This is supposed to address the issues of access to the BVIs by US charter vessels, while BVI charter vessels, water taxis too, have full access. The list of challenges is long, including a requirement for a BVI business license for US charter boats to access the BVIs. I am hoping that we end up with some symmetry.

https://stthomassource.com/content/...k-tourism-internet-boating-and-politics/

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: cwoody

Re: USVI to BVI Bereboat Charter - 10/20/2022 03:16 PM

I spoke with Capt. Jay this weekend at the Annapolis Boat show Waypoints booth.

He said they are very close (6 to 8 weeks?) to finalizing agreement with the BVI govt that will simplify the "boat inspection" process required by the BVI. BVI boat inspectors will come to STT to do inspections vs having to send boats to BVI to be inspected.

Once completed, charter boat travel between STT and the BVI will be much easier.

** I will be waiting to get a report from someone on what the latest cost to clear customs into BVI and other fees.
Last time I did this was in 2019. Bout $1200 for a 42 ft cat with 7 passengers for a week. In 2017 it was $480
Posted By: jpfitzy7

Re: USVI to BVI Bereboat Charter - 10/21/2022 04:59 PM

I'm chartering with Waypoints in three weeks. Was hoping to be able to head to BVI for a few days. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline