TravelTalkOnline

Jellyfish

Posted By: Nibj

Jellyfish - 12/19/2022 01:47 AM

I read elsewhere that jellyfish are very bad at the moment in the BVI. People who are there: is this right?

When is the season for jellyfish (not mid January I hope!)?
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Jellyfish - 12/19/2022 01:55 AM

We've been back about 2 weeks and there were some stings noticeable at that time, but I wouldn't say very bad. I think they get fewer as the water cools, I bet it will be fine by mid Jan. Not a terrible idea to have a stinger suit for more sensitive people.
Posted By: PATO

Re: Jellyfish - 12/19/2022 01:00 PM

Here for the last two weeks. Saw a few moon jellies. Nothing too terrible. Some in our group got a pinch from some floating pieces of jelly but only a couple of times. Wouldn’t worry too much. A rash guard helps.
Posted By: Bertman

Re: Jellyfish - 12/19/2022 07:27 PM

We were down there 11/29-12/7 and we thought there were more jellies than all but one of our past 13 charters. Particularly bad at the caves, the Indians and the Baths. My wife always snorkels with a rash guard, so she is fairly protected, but she hates jellies and once she see the first one, that’s all she looks for…no more coral or fish, just focused on more jellies. So it kind of ruins it for her. The most stings we got was when we were splashing around off the back of the boat, drinking and using noodles at Great Harbor JVD. 3 of our crew got stings of varying degrees. Hope they’re gone by the time you get down there Nibj
Posted By: GettinBye

Re: Jellyfish - 12/20/2022 02:44 PM

I didn’t realize this about the jelly fish. We didn’t run into that but we haven’t been in a few years. Is there something I should be prepared with if any of my guests get stung? (Hopefully more than a full bladder if there’s actually truth in that ). 🤣🤣
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: Jellyfish - 12/20/2022 03:28 PM

I used to use Sea Safe but then found conflicting information about it being reef safe so i stopped. This thread has me concerned about our trip next week. I may opt to use it on our legs and cover with a rash guard for the rest.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Jellyfish - 12/21/2022 01:54 PM

Urinating on a jellyfish sting does not help at all. In some cases it may make the pain worse.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Jellyfish - 12/21/2022 02:42 PM

We kayaked Diamond Reef with our glass bottom kayaks early this morning. Did not see any jellyfish.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline