TravelTalkOnline

Anegada

Posted By: drk

Anegada - 04/04/2023 07:13 PM

It’s been a few years since we’ve been to Anegada and are planning to go this April. We’ll have a 5’1” draft this time. Are there aby areas of the mooring field we should avoid?
Posted By: CarolinaSailor

Re: Anegada - 04/04/2023 10:38 PM

YES. The farthest area West at Setting Point has some sand bars that are not marked at about 4'-4 1/2'. So if you go much past the last mooring buoy in that direction, be very mindful as this can be shallow in a hurry.
Posted By: snmhanson

Re: Anegada - 04/05/2023 01:18 AM

We just left Anegada this morning. Our charter boat draws a fairly deep (for a cat) 4’9” and we had a minimum of about 24” under the keel across pretty much the entire mooring field. Can’t say much about farther west but I think if you stay in the mooring area you should be ok. I did see several large cats anchored to the west of us FWIW.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Anegada - 04/05/2023 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by snmhanson
We just left Anegada this morning. Our charter boat draws a fairly deep (for a cat) 4’9” and we had a minimum of about 24” under the keel across pretty much the entire mooring field. Can’t say much about farther west but I think if you stay in the mooring area you should be ok. I did see several large cats anchored to the west of us FWIW.

Did you personally verify the offset on the depth sounder? They tend to be set haphazardly on charter boats.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Anegada - 04/05/2023 02:18 PM

Charter boat depth Sounders are like a box of Chocolates! You never know what you are going to get! Meters, fathoms, feet, depth under keel, actual depth or actual depth with an offset!
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Anegada - 04/05/2023 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
Charter boat depth Sounders are like a box of Chocolates! You never know what you are going to get! Meters, fathoms, feet, depth under keel, actual depth or actual depth with an offset!

Yep. Super glad we took part in setting ours.
Posted By: louismcc

Re: Anegada - 04/05/2023 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1

We didn't verify it on our 2018 trip which wasn't an issue until we had to anchor in Anegada. We were on a mono, anchoring in an area that I knew had adequate depth and were beside other monos. But still anchoring when your depth gauge is reading negative numbers is a bit stressful.
Posted By: MarkS

Re: Anegada - 04/15/2023 07:45 PM

Anchoring is very easy there and the holding is excellent. I recommend staying just south of the balls and anchoring. You know you'll have enough depth there.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline