TravelTalkOnline

Dingy stolen from mooring field at cane garden

Posted By: hallucination

Dingy stolen from mooring field at cane garden - 06/06/2023 01:47 PM

Our dingy was stolen from our boat in the CGB harbor, on a ball last night (12-2am). dingy is a Plastimo yacht HP with a 25HP Yamaha with a Horizon dark blue cover. Please contact Horizon if found. Police report filed. Sticker on tiller says "Horizon WL"
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Dingy stolen from mooring field at cane garden - 06/06/2023 05:00 PM

CGB is on of the places I always hoist the dinghy. I suspect that 25hp engine was the target. West End is the other place I always hoist the dinghy.
Sadly if they took it off your boat I doubt you will see it again. The engine has probably already been pulled and resold. If it was taken off the dock there it’s often kids joy riding and those usually turn up.
I don’t know what type of insurance policy you have but if under the charter company group policy they might be reluctant to file a claim. They don’t want to drive up the premium. If that is the case you might have to enter a negotiation with them on a replacement.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Dingy stolen from mooring field at cane garden - 06/06/2023 05:41 PM

It is too bad that the webcams in CGB don't record, they just stream. I've had 2 dinghies stolen in the BVI over the years but not in Cane Garden Bay. There aren't many places to land and quickly disassemble the dinghy (i.e. remove the outboard) that aren't visible, so I never worried. The odds are just 0 of retrieving the outboard, and if the dinghy hasn't been found in CGB then it might have been taken to USVI for "chopping". What were the conditions like last night and where in the mooring field were you located? I'll assume that the dinghy wasn't lifted or locked (not that I ever do either in CGB).

Re: Dingy stolen from mooring field at cane garden - 06/06/2023 06:35 PM

Wind was SUPER calm last night, I quipped to Linda "we could easily go back-forth to JVD" as it was glass on the water. I know the dock at CGB is a target as they will even steal just the gas tank...but never in the field. well thats a 10 BU problem now frown
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Dingy stolen from mooring field at cane garden - 06/06/2023 06:46 PM

I know (from experience) that the police will want to bury this theft - it is work, plus bad statistics. But perhaps you could see if Quito's saves the webcam footage and you might be able to see if someone left the anchorage or approached the dock. It won't bring back the dinghy, though frown With that calm conditions, I guess that someone swam out into the mooring field. I recently had my fuel line cut with a knife in Antigua, and there were 3 cameras pointing to where my dinghy was. I tracked the first, but saw that the cable ended at eye level; camera not active. The second was the same, but disconnected inside. The third was active! But a banner blocked the view to where my dinghy was... I feel for you - I've lost 3 dinghies this way so far! Out of curiosity, what is the arrangement with Horizon when this happens?

Re: Dingy stolen from mooring field at cane garden - 06/06/2023 07:02 PM

Seems like I bought a second dingy...that I don't need. First one got confused in IRMA. Now I have a baby dingy with an EP-carry in ANNAPOLIS. Third dingy I don't need frown
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Dingy stolen from mooring field at cane garden - 06/06/2023 08:33 PM

So sad that happened to you. We always put our dinghy up onn the davits no matter where we are overnight (and in CGB lock the fuel tank and engine in through the cable as well). We also lock our dinghy when at dinghy docks - never hurts to be extra careful.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline