TravelTalkOnline

Access to Patricia's by boat

Posted By: Mark

Access to Patricia's by boat - 06/11/2023 12:43 AM

There have been a lot of positive comments about Patricia's and we have unfortunately never been there. We would like to go on this next charter visit. Can you anchor in Smuggler's Cove and dinghy ashore? Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Access to Patricia's by boat - 06/11/2023 02:01 AM

Smugglers is redlined by the charter companies.
Posted By: kajunlady61

Re: Access to Patricia's by boat - 06/11/2023 10:57 AM

We saw a charter cat trying to anchor there Thursday. Never got a bite. They came in late too. Looked like they wanted to overnight there.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Access to Patricia's by boat - 06/11/2023 01:05 PM

If your charter company allows you can anchor there for a day stop. It’s not a suitable overnight anchorage if there is the slightest possibility of evening rain showers. That takes out about 80% of the days. Better to go to West End and cab over.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Access to Patricia's by boat - 06/11/2023 01:50 PM

George,
Curious as to why evening rain showers makes it unsuitable? (I have not ever anchored there). Poor holding?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Access to Patricia's by boat - 06/11/2023 02:49 PM

It has no protection. If you get 30 or 40 knot winds out of the N to NW it will get ugly. There is no real fringing reef like CGB.
Posted By: onlymedication

Re: Access to Patricia's by boat - 06/12/2023 04:11 PM

We watched someone anchor there and then dinghy in one day while we were drinking beers in the surf and enjoying the afternoon. It was entertaining and very impressive. N swell was running. They seemed to get anchored quickly and easily, but the boat was rocking like crazy. Then a guy and girl get in the dinghy and are literally surfing breakers in to shore. No idea how they made it in without capsizing. They were gone within an hour. Not sure what they were doing or why, but they were either very stupid or very expert, no middle ground on this one. At first, I thought for sure that boat was going to end up on the beach, but then when I saw them handle the dinghy ride in without incident, I was just impressed. This was years ago, but I believe it was a smaller Sunsail mono. I'm guessing the guy is a professional captain or Sunsail/Moorings staffer on his day off.

Long story short, would not advise anchoring at Smugglers, certainly not overnight. We love going there, but we like to stay on shore a day or two before or after charter with a rented car and it's definitely a place worth the trip if you do that.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline