TravelTalkOnline

Comfortable kids life jacket help

Posted By: katyordy

Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/18/2023 10:17 PM

We arrive 12/15 and have 5 kids 4-14. All swim but obviously the 4 and 6 year old have limited abilities and there will be times they should all be in them. So are there places to rent comfortable ones from for the week or should we bring them? And if bring them our kids are more used to a day on the boat so comfort not as critical so I would happily buy new ones if it made a difference. My preference is to rent each kid two so that one stays dry for just being on the boat. But that feels pretty risky because the first place I spoke to kids vest were just the cheap ones that will require more bribery to keep it on happily. Thanks y'all.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/18/2023 10:35 PM

I would bring them for the younger kids. When my niece was five we brought a special one down; maybe had a crotch strap. She was very tiny. Gave it away last year, and it's still in great shape fifteen years later. It is an nrs brand.

Kayak vests tend to be more comfortable as they allow for arm movement. I wouldn't count on getting good ones in the BVI.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/18/2023 11:56 PM

My kids lived in these type of swimsuits when they were little. Bonus for the sun protection. We have a backyard pool and these saved my sanity.
https://www.target.com/p/swimline-b...s-medium-wet-suit-life-vest/-/A-76168836
There's also some more upscale versions now-
https://airtimewatertime.com/#:~:text=The%20Floater%C2%AE%20is%20one,buoyancy%2C%20flexibility%2C%20and%20protection.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/19/2023 06:19 PM

We live on water at home, with boats, and have tried many different brands for our kids and now grandchildren. We are bringing our grandchildren in late December and bringing two life jackets each - one to wear in the water and one to wear when dry. Go try them on and buy ones that fit well and the kids like. Water sports shops will have them - we buy ours from our boat dealer.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/19/2023 07:33 PM

agree with buy your own and bring...jackets for kids < 50 lbs should have crotch straps...I would also get swim noodles at base camp for swimming and visability
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/19/2023 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by RatmansWife
I would bring them for the younger kids. When my niece was five we brought a special one down; maybe had a crotch strap. She was very tiny. Gave it away last year, and it's still in great shape fifteen years later. It is an nrs brand.

Kayak vests tend to be more comfortable as they allow for arm movement. I wouldn't count on getting good ones in the BVI.

Definitely bring your on. Comfortable and the right size. They will dry very quickly so that is rarely a problem, but for the little ones, easy to pack2 each. . A good rash shirt with a collar will help to avoid chafing.

If they are not comfortable, there will be less tendency to wear them.And there are second chances.
Posted By: Standrea

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/20/2023 01:56 PM

The Body Glove brand from Walmart were super comfortable for our two granddaughters this past April. They wore those while sailing and the swimmy arms once we got to an anchorage. I would just bring one life jacket each and then a swimmy arm thing for each. No need for two life jackets each.

Attached picture Screenshot_20231120-085143~2.png
Attached picture Screenshot_20231120-085120~2.png
Attached picture Screenshot_20231120-085226.png

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/20/2023 02:05 PM

Also, these Surf style hats were the BEST! The girls never had a sunburned face all week. Also, we brought one of these rafts with a clear bottom with us and when we snorkeled we pulled the girls with us and they could see underwater.

Attached picture Screenshot_20231120-085826.png
Attached picture Screenshot_20231120-090351.png
Attached picture PXL_20230505_133035392.jpg

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/20/2023 02:11 PM

Wish there was a good source for lifeguard hats on Tortola - they are not easy to pack (or carry on). I have only found them with reliable frequency at Scrub. If there was a good source I would have them delivered to the boat for visiting family and friends (mine is in the storage locker at TMM). We don’t like/use water wings here or when traveling so it is two life jackets for our crew - glad they worked for your family Standrea.

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/20/2023 02:30 PM

Also, with that many kids I would highly recommend you rent a Sunchill from BVISUPCO. I think it was $125 for the week, they deliver it to your boat in a backpack and it pumps up fast. A great way to swim off the back of the boat for the kids.

Attached picture Screenshot_20231120-092557~2.png

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/20/2023 02:41 PM

We have a Bote hangout (similar to the Sunchill) on our boat and love it. We tie it down to the trampoline when underway.
Posted By: ecm56

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/20/2023 03:13 PM

Ann and Andrew have adult size lifeguard hats at Ann's Gift Shop at Tipsy on Anegada (if you get up that way). As I recall they were reasonably priced. I don't recall if they have kids sizes . . .

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/20/2023 03:35 PM

Thanks - we would like to get them earlier in our adventure. Contacting BEYC to see if we can grab some there although they likely only offer adult sizes. I have awesome sunhats (fisherman style) for the kids but am sure they would like to be like the adults 😎
Posted By: vytis104

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/20/2023 03:54 PM

We always bring the kids life jackets from home. (5yo, 8yo, 10yo) They are used to them and comfortable in them. We also bring snorkel equipment. A 90L Duffel holds all of it and then some. They dry very quickly so I wouldnt worry about bringing two of them. We have never had a problem. We did have problems with chafe, make sure to bring plenty of rash guards.

We dont use the straw hats, the kids are always wearing sun hoodies. So much better.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/20/2023 04:37 PM

As far as chafe goes this stuff is life changing and vacation saving!
https://www.bodyglide.com/
Posted By: ecm56

Re: Comfortable kids life jacket help - 11/20/2023 11:01 PM

Another possibility - if you are coming via St. Thomas, there is a shop right on the harbor (Charlotte Amalia) that carries the lifeguard hats (and snorkeling gear). I think it's CLASSIC Surf Dive And Outfitters - just West of KFC.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline