TravelTalkOnline

Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards

Posted By: tmsxmsails

Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards - 12/21/2023 02:25 PM

Hello,

I'm planning a bareboat charter in the BVIs in the summer. I suspect we are going to be hitting the various beach bars (Foxy's, Soggy Dollar, Willy T's, plus assorted restaurants) so I need to plan on how much cash to take.

I'd much rather pay by CC wherever possible but I don't know who takes what. I pinged the Willy T via their site and they said they take CCs but that's all I have at this point.

Thanks for any help.
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards - 12/21/2023 03:54 PM

Almost all take CC's. Still nice to have some cash, but almost all take CC's
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards - 12/21/2023 04:19 PM

Just make sure you use a card you can cancel easily if you start buying TV’s in Argentina. Don’t use a card you have linked to lots of payments ect…

Re: Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards - 12/21/2023 07:58 PM

Just make sure you use a card you can cancel easily if you start buying TV’s in Argentina. Don’t use a card you have linked to lots of payments ect…

Hmm, that's a good idea. So, follow up question (plus, still interested on specific places that do or don't): Of the places that do, do they take tap-to-pay type cards (like cards with chips or for example, my Apple Watch that I just hold near the reader)?

I've been thinking about getting the Apple Card as a backup card (I currently use a BofA card as my backup and I'd like to get rid of the physical card if possible) and this might be the kicker.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards - 12/21/2023 09:10 PM

I travel mostly with cash. Too many times have I come home to fradulent charges ( I believe originated in the airports, not the BVI). I am not normal I know that..... but I do find cash is handy. There are times you do need it-tipping, broken machines etc...When I do use a card I make sure to use a card that is strictly a CC, not a debit one.
I would definitely not abandon a physical card-I have seen some pretty old machines in use.
Posted By: SeeDiver

Re: Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards - 12/21/2023 09:13 PM

Be sure you choose a card with no foreign transaction fees. They can really add up.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards - 12/21/2023 09:37 PM

Visa or MC. Very few places accept AMEX.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards - 12/22/2023 01:08 PM

Only place I can think of on Anegada that does not take CC's is Flash of Beauty.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards - 12/22/2023 02:04 PM

Patriicia's on Smugglers is cash only but her prices are are resoanble ( and food so good) you cant blame her.Know too that sometimes CC machines down work down here
Posted By: Husker

Re: Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards - 12/22/2023 02:23 PM

Credit card machines at the Roat Town ferry terminal were not working our last time through (November). It was cash only for walk up tickets. I general I take far less cash than I used to.
Posted By: Riverfrontbrewer

Re: Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards - 12/22/2023 04:02 PM

Good advice here and I'll add one; make sure to keep your debit card at home.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards - 12/22/2023 04:08 PM

In general, don't use a debit card, EVER. You have almost no protections, except as a courtesy through your bank, on debit cards. It's always safer to use a credit card.

Re: Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards - 12/22/2023 04:26 PM

Thanks for all these - really appreciate it!

And yeah, would never even THINK about using a debit card except for getting cash from an ATM.

My bank reimburses me for ATM fees so I'm not worried about those. I just got the Apple Card as my new backup card (which doesn't have any recurring payments attached to it) and it doesn't have international transaction fees. I didn't initially opt for the physical card but based on above I think I may get one.

This has been really helpful - thanks so much for all the replies!
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Which beach bars/restaurants take credit cards - 12/22/2023 05:23 PM

A lot more stores have the tap cards.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline