TravelTalkOnline

Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound

Posted By: Flynny70

Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/04/2024 03:25 PM

Hi - we'll be going on our third BVI trip in early March. 4 adult couples on a power cat for 5 nights. In the past we always included Anegada for a night or two. This year we are going to skip Anegada and hope to spend more time in the North Sound area. We loved spending time at Saba and BEYC last time, and made it over to Nova (had the place to ourself at the time). Any areas on places or areas to add to the itinerary? We always start the week snorkeling the Indians then hitting Wily T's for the afternoon, and spend our last full day at JVD. Love to snorkel, anchor in secluded areas, hit fun beach bars. Thanks!
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/04/2024 05:20 PM

I've spent months in the North Sound. I really like to anchor across from Leverick at Prickly Pear island, between the outer reef and the Sand Box. Tranquil at night, but unless the wind is really up I can dinghy across to Leverick or to Saba / Bitter End if I want to.
Posted By: tmsxmsails

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/04/2024 06:37 PM

This is very timely for me - I was just going to ask almost the same question.

Specifically, I was thinking about anchoring in Drake's Anchorage, just east of Moskito and behind the reef that juts out in to the channel. Anything to be concerned about doing an overnight there? Can I dinghy to Leverick from there?

I don't know where the Sand Box is, can you give more details?

Thanks

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/04/2024 06:41 PM

Sand Box is on Prickley, across from BEYC. Nice beach bar and the beach is beautiful, looks across to Leverick.

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/04/2024 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Flynny70
Sand Box is on Prickley, across from BEYC. Nice beach bar and the beach is beautiful, looks across to Leverick.

Thanks, I think I see where it is.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/04/2024 07:29 PM

Sandbox is very hit or miss as to when it's open. Mostly miss.

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/04/2024 08:39 PM

Don't know about the OP (sorry for slightly hijacking this thread) but that's fine for me. I'm kind of looking for a deserted place - which is why I was considering Drake's Anchorage.

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/04/2024 09:41 PM

I've only been to Sand Box once, but we were the only ones there, and had the beach to ourselves.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/05/2024 12:01 AM

Here is the sandbox area.

Attached picture FAF8F04D-FC40-4B50-A024-BB5C9F4F29CA.jpeg
Posted By: Nibj

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/05/2024 02:32 AM

We have spent time at anchor in both Drake's anchorage (to snorkel the reef) and Prickly Pear (just to swim and look around, it was closed at the time). But never overnight. The holding seemed good in both places, but we never tested it for real. I'd be interested how you get on in Drake's anchorage.
Posted By: ecm56

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/05/2024 12:40 PM

I heard or saw that the observation platform on Gorda Peak may have been repaired and be back in service. If so, that's a nice hike and a stunning view on a clear day. If I have been misinformed then Hog Heaven is probably a good alternative (without the hike).
Posted By: Husker

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/05/2024 03:44 PM

We've day-anchored at Drakes. Not sure I would overnight there unless the wind was on the light side of normal. Prickly Pear is a good overnight spot. There used to be balls there. Anchoring is good although the sand is hard in spots....make sure you have plenty of scope as the slope is not in your favor under normal conditions. Our fave spot to overnight (for seclusion) is the other side of PP island. There are two beautiful white sand beaches (usually deserted) facing NNE but in the lee of Eustatia I. Short tender ride across to the reef WNW of Eustatia for some great snorkeling.

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/05/2024 06:00 PM

Thanks for the thoughts on Drake's. I thought about the other side of PP in the lee of Eustatia but I've never been over there. The Scott book makes it sound like it's not too hard to get too - maybe I'll do that. Any idea if it's off-limits per The Moorings? I don't think I'll have access to their no-go zones until I get the chart briefing.

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/05/2024 06:55 PM

The Moorings chart briefing is available online as soon as you make a booking.

https://hub.moorings.com/briefing/chart/caribbean/british-virgin-islands
Posted By: marisol

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/05/2024 09:17 PM

I totally agree with Zanshin regarding Prickly Pear. We like to anchor and have anchored off the Sandbox on PP. For us it was always quiet and the holding was good.
Posted By: Husker

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/05/2024 10:05 PM

TMSXsails: For the NE side of PP, one can enter from the NW (Necker I Passage) or, if you are coming from Gorda Sound, just come thru the Saba Rock marked channel and once you are out in deeper water make a hard left back thru the reefs between PP and Eustatia Is. Go slow and watch your depth and you'll be fine.

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/05/2024 10:11 PM

The Moorings chart briefing is available online as soon as you make a booking.

https://hub.moorings.com/briefing/chart/caribbean/british-virgin-islands

I've seen that and, unless I'm missing it, the e-Guide available at that link doesn't really give you detailed info on go, no-go zones. It talks about major anchorages but, for example, doesn't cover PP.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/17/2024 05:30 PM

Timely for us too. Heading down in March and are going to spend 2 nights in the north sound - mainly because we want to taxi to the baths & hog heaven.
Has anyone dinghied to Nova at Oil Nut Bay from Saba? Too far? We loved Nova on one of our last trips - just can't find a way to fit in a night there with our current itinerary.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/17/2024 05:50 PM

We've made that dingy ride on our last 3 trips. No issues. The folks at Nova are always welcoming.
Posted By: Sandsailsun

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/17/2024 05:50 PM

We have but it was a rough ride. If sea is calm would be fine but we all know how this goes right..flat calm then boom swells hitting you on the face on return. A tip someone gave us years ago..after heading out in the dinghy turn around to see how bumpy the ride is on the return before proceeding.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/17/2024 06:57 PM

We just took a dinghy all the way from Leverick to Nova two weeks ago. We happened on a calm day and took the opportunity and it was super easy. There's been other times we've scratched it due to conditions so it's kind of a game day decision unfortunately.
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/17/2024 07:57 PM

If it is too rough, we can also arrange a pick up and drop offs from Saba Rock/BEYC for guests who want to come to Nova!
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/17/2024 08:03 PM

How would we reach Nova for transport? This sounds like the perfect answer.
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/17/2024 08:13 PM

You can email me directly and I would be happy to assist.

adobbs@oilnutbay.com
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 01/17/2024 09:11 PM

We have used Oil Nut’s transportation services from the BEYC docks. Excellent. No reason to take the dinghy on an adventure ride.
Posted By: knitsoftwear

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 02/11/2024 08:06 PM

Before the resort at Oil Nut Bay we used to dingy from Biras to Oil Nut to snorkle

Re: Itinerary Suggestions - VG/North Sound - 02/12/2024 01:45 PM

My big concern on a Dinghy ride from Nova to Leverick would be getting run over if returning after dark.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline