TravelTalkOnline

Three rescued...

Posted By: Manpot

Three rescued... - 03/11/2024 05:55 PM

...from a cat that ran aground on Horseshoe Reef , according to BVI News reports.They were saved by VISAR and the US Coast Guard..anyone have any more info?Charter boat etc?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Three rescued... - 03/11/2024 06:45 PM

Hope it’s not mine.
Posted By: Rush

Re: Three rescued... - 03/11/2024 07:02 PM

I read the name was Quartz (French flagged). 33 ft catamaran. So not a charter vessel.
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: Three rescued... - 03/11/2024 08:06 PM

Here’s an article about it. It says they were 6nm SE of Anegada at about 4:30am, so at least a couple of very bad choices.
https://www.news.uscg.mil/Press-Rel...scue-rescue-3-boaters-from-sinking-sail/

Re: Three rescued... - 03/11/2024 09:00 PM

Great job and display of co operation..something a little lacking these days!
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: Three rescued... - 03/11/2024 09:10 PM

Yes, it was great cooperation, and hats-off to VISAR for making the pick-up!

Re: Three rescued... - 03/11/2024 09:52 PM

Its a crime that VISAR is totally voluntary with NO BVI Gov support.They take taxes for every passenger off the cruise ships and the charter companies rely on them to save customers..and they do it for donations..Off the soap box now.,
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Three rescued... - 03/11/2024 09:58 PM

The charter companies are pretty religious about collecting the visor contributions. I guess it’s not mandatory but I pay it gladly. If they really want to make money they should add this after the visor line.

Fishing: yes__ No__ If yes add 75.00
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Three rescued... - 03/12/2024 11:23 AM

Its a crime that VISAR is totally voluntary with NO BVI Gov support.They take taxes for every passenger off the cruise ships and the charter companies rely on them to save customers..and they do it for donations..Off the soap box now.,
Mal... They follow the UK funding model for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution which is entirely paid for by charitable donations and largely staffed by volunteers. If you want to see some amazing rescues they have performed, watch the BBC series 'Saving Lives at Sea'. You can watch it on BBC iPlayer if you use a VPN but I believe it is also available on Amazon/Discovery. There are 8 seasons in total although they may not all be available. American viewers may need to put subtitles on as some of the volunteers have accents that may be difficult to understand cheers
Posted By: louismcc

Re: Three rescued... - 03/12/2024 04:08 PM

VISAR's presence saved a charter trip many years ago. Our son had a seizure disorder which was under control but we worried about getting him medical help if needed while we were out on the boat. VISAR's presence and their reassuring us about their capabilities made us comfortable going on the charter. Fortunately we had no problems that required VISAR.

We contribute pretty much every year whether or not we're going on a charter.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Three rescued... - 03/12/2024 09:43 PM

The "mandatory" contribution to VISAR is the best money spent.(over 40 trips). $2 per person per TRIP. So less than $20 per boat.

Fortunately, I haven't needed their response and expertise.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline