TravelTalkOnline

Jeep for St. John

Posted By: SciGuy

Jeep for St. John - 05/14/2014 03:23 AM

First time in VI this July. BB charter out of Road Town. Then 7 nights near Coral Bay and last night in Charlotte Amalie before STT departure flight. Thinking I want to rent a Jeep from a St. Thomas agency, that can be used the entire land portion of the trip and returned at the airport. If I rented from a St. John agency I have the issue of transportation for the last day/night/morning on St. Thomas. I figure getting taxied around might cost as much as the extra day of rental. Ideas about this? Thanks!
Posted By: RickG

Re: Jeep for St. John - 05/14/2014 10:27 AM

We rent on STT from Amalie and take the car barge to STJ. They pick you up and drop you off at the airport. We've done others on STT, but Amalie is our favorite.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: Flotsam

Re: Jeep for St. John - 05/14/2014 02:34 PM

The St. John rental agencies will not allow you to take their vehicles over to St. Thomas. As noted above, you can however take a St. Thomas rental to St. John.

Welcome to de ilons!
Posted By: RanLee

Re: Jeep for St. John - 05/19/2014 01:58 AM

The company we rented from last week, Discount Car Rental, does not allow their rentals to go to St John. There is a $150 fine if you are caught. They may offer a different contract to go over to St John with their cars, but the contract we signed stated there is a fine.

Randy
Posted By: cruzan1

Re: Jeep for St. John - 05/19/2014 11:18 AM

Sci Guy,

As far as I know, none of the STJ companies allow vehicles to be taken off the island. They are all independent agencies and not franchises. There used to be a Hertz location down by St. John Inn but I don't think they allowed it either. Even if they did the one way drop fee would be huge. The Car Barge is $30.00 for a one way from St. John to Red Hook, add time and effort and the charge would be well over 100.00.

You definitely will need the Jeep rental while on St. John. I would urge you to use one of the companies that will allow you to use their parking lot while in town, parking is a huge issue in Cruz Bay.

Not sure where you are staying on STT but the CA ferry might be an option instead of the Red Hook ferry on the way back from STJ. That will drop you right smack in the middle of CA within walking distance of several hotel/Inns.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline