TravelTalkOnline

Wireless hotspot for the boat?

Posted By: Twanger

Wireless hotspot for the boat? - 06/13/2014 08:37 PM

Has anybody found/used a wireless hotspot for the boat that you could rent for a reasonable price for a 10-day charter?

Ideally we'd rent such a thing in St. Thomas for the duration of our charter, which leaves from St. Thomas.
Posted By: TomB

Re: Wireless hotspot for the boat? - 06/13/2014 10:34 PM

I have a ATT phone and the hotspot function enabled. Up to 5 or 6 can log on to the phone wifi. There was great signal in STT and on the North side of STJ.

I did use the phone as a hotspot once this last trip and it worked great. If you use ATT you may want to check to see how much they would charge to enable on your phone. They may have a 30 day trial thing or something. I need mine for work, but it has come in handy for personal use also.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Wireless hotspot for the boat? - 06/14/2014 01:09 PM

Walt, they are not to expensive to buy. GlennA set us up and it works great. Sometimes renting is more expensive than buying, see Renport.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: Wireless hotspot for the boat? - 06/14/2014 01:38 PM

Good idea Tom, Evan!
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Wireless hotspot for the boat? - 06/15/2014 09:05 PM

You could also just buy an unlocked cell phone, get a sim card for it and share the wifi from that. Plenty of devices that will do it as well, but the cell phone model works well and serves two purposes.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline