TravelTalkOnline

Tennessee Man Killed in Apparant Burglary

Posted By: SusanC

Tennessee Man Killed in Apparant Burglary - 11/20/2014 10:14 PM

Tennessee Insurance Executive Killed in Apparent Burglary and Robbery at Isolated East End Home
Posted By: rundugrun

Re: Tennessee Man Killed in Apparant Burglary - 11/21/2014 12:51 AM

Wow. Murder of a tourist on St. John? We all know the murder rate on St. Thomas is very high, but I've always considered St.John to be relatively untouched by the local crime...
Posted By: HillsideView

Re: Tennessee Man Killed in Apparant Burglary - 11/21/2014 04:41 AM

Recall reading about a similar break in/murder on St John in mid January. No suspects of course.Police don't really seem to interested. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/virgin-islands-police-to-blame-for-unsolved-murder-of-nj-man/
Posted By: Aleta_skipper

Re: Tennessee Man Killed in Apparant Burglary - 11/21/2014 03:56 PM

The cliffside estate facing Tortola always stood out as out of place and cold now it has a new meaning. Claims of fraud to the tune of 80 million- one has to wonder if this was indeed a robbery gone wrong or something else?
https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2014/11/19/ed_netherland_found_dead_in_virgin_islands_home
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Tennessee Man Killed in Apparant Burglary - 11/22/2014 02:06 PM

I would feel better if it was a hit instead of a robbery.
Posted By: BobA

Re: Tennessee Man Killed in Apparant Burglary - 11/23/2014 01:12 AM

I was more surprised by the comment that "we know the murder rate on St. Thomas is high". I have always understand that the further one went from St. Croix on out to Virgin Gorda or Anegada - that crime dropped as one went further.

I've been concentrating on BVI in past years, but am returning to USVI in Jan; so of course I'm concerned about any murder, but just how bad has crime become?

I've even had a friend suggest we carry mace with us.

Have things gotten that bad?
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Tennessee Man Killed in Apparant Burglary - 11/23/2014 02:20 AM

As a 40 year resident I can say things have changed in ST Thomas over that time for sure -- but not to the level of recommending a tourist should bring Mace with them or really anticipating any kind of criminal confrontation while on vacation.
The criminals here and everywhere in the Caribbean are much better armed than they were 10, 20 or more years ago, without a doubt - but almost all of the crime seems to be gang, drug or vendetta oriented with very few crimes against tourists occuring - a good heads up street awareness and common sense in where and when you are out and about is a simple precaution - late, late night bar hopping and overindulging is not something I can say is safe anymore - and I speak from the experience of bartending the 10pm - 4am shift for many years in the 70's and 80's here - I wouldn't go out like that now.

Re: Tennessee Man Killed in Apparant Burglary - 11/23/2014 02:52 AM

Sounds like things at home. To get away from crime, one has to get away from all people. I'd go just about anywhere in Minneapolis in daylight, but there are a lot of places I'd never go at night. No over indulging here, I'm the one that would have left the bar by the time your shift started. Thanks for the perspective and update. I'll try to stay out of trouble in January.
Posted By: RickG

Re: Tennessee Man Killed in Apparant Burglary - 11/23/2014 03:47 PM

There is a back story on the recent east end STJ murder in the most remote house on the island. He had something to hide from.

We visited the USVI/BVI five times this year and three times last year, always starting and ending on St. Thomas. Never did we feel threatened or in danger. Rather, as we've gotten to know more people like LocalSailor we've gotten more aware of where to go, rather than where not to go.

We have no problem at all in French Town and East End on St. Thomas at night and never a problem on St. John in the USVI.

No pollyana here, to avoid crime we practice normal safe behavior. We lock our boat/condo/villa doors at night and when we're away and secure our valuables. We stay out of dark corners and don't take walks with strangers. I'm not suggesting you would do this, but seeking anything illicit is a good way to get in trouble. If you go looking for trouble it may find you. I also carry no more cash than I am willing to hand over. Basically the same common sense we practice here at home in DC.

Mace? Sounds like a fast way to escalate an unfortunate situation.

Cheers, RickG

Re: Tennessee Man Killed in Apparant Burglary - 11/24/2014 01:26 AM

I agree on the negatives of carrying mace. A few years ago a friend of mine was overly concerned about the potential for bears during hikes in western Montana. This escalated to the point that I agreed to buy the BIG can of bear spray to calm him down. I've never used it, because I practice safe hiking - no dark corners, no walking in the woods at night, etc., etc. - kinda the same as wandering about on the islands. Besides bears like pepper with their meals.
Posted By: RickG

Re: Tennessee Man Killed in Apparant Burglary - 11/24/2014 11:52 AM

A bit more on the Netherland death.

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/businessman-netherland-found-dead-in-virgin-islands-cms-40896

Cheers, RickG
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline