TravelTalkOnline

C & I @ Spanish Town

Posted By: TNSailor

C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/04/2015 01:21 PM

Less than 3 weeks to go!! Yeaaaaaa!! This'll be our first time coming from the USVI to sail the BVI and I'm trying to gather info for clearing in/out. To clear Customs and Immigration at Spanish Town, can we go into the Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor, tie up at a slip and then go directly to the customs office? Or do we have to use one of the moorings outside the harbor, dingy to the ferry dock to clear and then go into the harbor to use one of the slips?
Posted By: MissinStT

Re: C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/04/2015 02:30 PM

I believe you are OK to grab a slip and proceed directly there. That is certainly the way the crewed day tripper boats do it. Of course they may have a special arrangement as they come in daily. You might email VG Yacht Harbor for verification.
Posted By: sail445

Re: C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/04/2015 03:44 PM

I tried doing that at Sopers Hole and was told I have to check in first before getting a slip.
But they're always changing the rules.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/04/2015 03:51 PM

officially you should check in at Soper's Hole, which is the first port of entry.

Re: C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/04/2015 06:21 PM

Well, I couldn't find an email address for VG Yacht Harbour so I called. The lady said it was fine to tie up at a slip then go to C&I. Although she's not an official government rep, she sounded pretty confident in her answer.
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/04/2015 06:24 PM

You are safe to get a slip and wander over.

A few years ago The C&I people had too much fun with me. I had sailed in all night from Anguilla about 10 hours perhaps. As I was clearing in they ask about the guns. I say I have no guns, but they insist that they clearly saw me walking across the parking lot with guns and who did I give them to. I was beyond exhausted and this went on for way too long and I was then a mess. Then after I was about ready to confess to any crime they wanted they said they were just messing with me.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/04/2015 08:14 PM

FYI , C&I is not at the yacht harbour, it's about a 1/4 mile walk
Posted By: maytrix

Re: C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/06/2015 12:00 PM

Coming from the USVI, you should stop at Soper's hole. You might be fine going to Spanish town, but it could also be an issue of they were patrolling and saw you and questioned your intentions. Not worth the risk based on stories I've read.
Posted By: sail445

Re: C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/06/2015 01:17 PM

If you go by road it's probably a 1/4 mile but you can walk across the empty field about 200' and the C&I building is right there.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/09/2015 01:37 PM

You are required to check in at Sopers. If you show up at Spanishtown coming from the USVI they might tack a hefty penalty onto the clearance fees.
G
Posted By: bfoxg8r

Re: C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/09/2015 01:47 PM

I check in at Spanish Town 5 times a week coming from the USVI. They don't care. No need to stop at Sopers.
Posted By: Nutmeg

Re: C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/09/2015 02:14 PM

The day trips to the Baths from St Thomas and St John check in at Spanish Town.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/09/2015 02:54 PM

Don't forget, what might be allowed at today could change tomorrow. I think the rules are clear that you have to stop at the first possible customs location. This may very well be over looked now, but I wouldn't rely on that.

Re: C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/11/2015 11:42 AM

Thanks to all for your input and sage advice. Since there's no chance of being wrong if we check in at Soper's Hole, that's what we'll do. I was just trying to save a little time since Spanish Town is our first destination in the BVI.
Posted By: bfoxg8r

Re: C & I @ Spanish Town - 05/11/2015 03:50 PM

Go directly to Spanish Town.
They don't care.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline