TravelTalkOnline

St Thomas Must Do Restaurants

Posted By: toast

St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/11/2015 07:15 PM

Helping a friend plan a week on St Thomas...looking for nice restaurant recommendations. They are staying at Frenchmans Reef.
Is Pesce still open in red Hook?
what about downtown CA? thanks for suggestions...
Posted By: Nutmeg

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/11/2015 07:42 PM

Wel...In town: Grande Cru at Yacht Haven Grande, Banana Tree Grille at Bluebeard's, Cafe Amalia in Palm Passage, Cuzzin's for lunch. In Frenchtown: Bella Blu, Hook, Line and Sinker, Oceana. In Bolongo: Mim's. Those would be the closest to the Reef. In Red Hook: XO or Fish Tails.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/11/2015 08:51 PM

Nutmeg - you hit all of my favorites.
Love Bella Blu, HL&S, Fish Tails, & Oceana.

I actually like eating at the Green House. The food and drink is mediocre, but I get a table at the front and look out over the Bay and wonder what it would have been like 200 years ago.

What's the name of the new place where Craig & Sally's was? I had a good Lion Fish sandwich there last trip.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/12/2015 03:36 AM

Twisted Cork is in the old Craig and Sally location - long time C&S employees Eric and Brian took it over.
I love the Frenchtown restaurant options but if you want to travel over the Mountain to some North side venues - check out:
Thirteen
Blue Orchid
Grille Room
All are very nice dinner restaurants and very popular with the STT residents.
Posted By: goozee

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/12/2015 01:29 PM

I heard that Cuzzins might be shut. Not sure.

Goozee
Posted By: RickG

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/12/2015 01:55 PM

My favorites are listed above. Moving casual, in Red Hook For pizza and beers Island Time Pub in Red Hook and Tap & Still for burgers and wings. Dog House Pub across from Havensight is a good burger and beer spot. Late night Betsy's in French Town has good food and great people watching.

Lots of good options in Cruz Bay St. John too.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/12/2015 03:51 PM

Is North Side Bistro still open in the Hull Bay area. We had a couple of great meals there when my son lived on the north side
Posted By: Kimber

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/12/2015 11:27 PM

Yes
Posted By: toast

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/13/2015 11:39 AM

Thank you everyone. What about the Old Stone house, they asked me about that one?
Posted By: TomSW

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/13/2015 11:54 AM

It's the Old Stone Farm House and it is fantastic. A must if you are around.
Posted By: Cleobeach

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/16/2015 01:05 PM

Any thoughts on Havanna Blue? We are staying at the Marriott as a stop over before STJ. We have a brutal travel day and I figured it would be easy to stay close by.
Posted By: Nutmeg

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/16/2015 10:15 PM

I haven't been to Havana Blue in years. It is a gorgeous setting, especially as the cruise ships are leaving, but very over-priced. If you just want to stay at the Reef, it is probably the best outlet. If you feel up for a short ride, Grande Cru at Yacht Haven Grande is a good choice.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/16/2015 10:18 PM

Last trip (last year) we ate dinner at Havana Blue because we stayed at Frenchman's Reef for two days after our charter was over, and wanted to have one nice dinner out.

The food and service was excellent. It was pricy as Nutmeg says.
Posted By: Kimber

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/17/2015 02:44 PM

I had lunch at Havanna Blue on Saturday. The food, drinks, view and service were good. As stated, it's pricey like most restaurants are when located at a large chain hotel like Marriott. I prefer the view from Mafolie and the food at Oceana.

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/17/2015 03:24 PM

I appreciate the feedback and other suggestions!
Posted By: AndyPIT

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/18/2015 08:04 PM

Had a good meal at Gladys' cafe! We really don't venture far from ferry dock though.

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 06/18/2015 09:07 PM

We plan on hitting Gladys' Monday for lunch prior to catching the ferry.

I am planning our STJ dining and with start another thread.....
Posted By: crmoores

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 07/07/2015 09:58 AM

If they are open to a more funky, island experience Latitude 18 has great dishes as well as good music in a very casual, non-elegant setting. That, followed by an evening at Duffy's, may be their most fun experience.

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 07/07/2015 11:48 AM

Duffy's is closed, but lots of drinking spots in the neighborhood. Mark from 'X on STJ' is opening 'X on STT' soon in Red Hook.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: Lcrich

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 07/07/2015 12:45 PM

Duffy's is open! Just had a picture from my sister last Friday having lunch. They tried to eat there Wednesday night and it was so crowded they had to go elsewhere! It is for sale but still open.

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 07/07/2015 05:45 PM

Lcrich, thanks for the correction. I had heard from a friend that they were closed.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: snmhanson

Re: St Thomas Must Do Restaurants - 07/08/2015 12:35 AM

Not sure if the info is still needed but I'll add Pie Whole in Frenchtown as well. Good pizza and some unique beer choices if you are a beer drinker. Tried a Houblon Chouffe there which is a Belgian Tripel Ale. One of the best beers I've had in quite some time. We also ate at Grande Cru and really enjoyed the meal and atmosphere. Wasn't expecting too much as I figured it catered to the cruise ship traffic, but was pleasantly surprised. Also, Fresh down the way was good too with an interesting happy hour menu.

Matt
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline