TravelTalkOnline

SVI trip planning

Posted By: Knotthead

SVI trip planning - 08/06/2015 07:29 PM

Initial planning for 2 weeks in December. Leaving BVI to St John then on to the SVI. I want to overnight at a marina in Fajardo to resupply and change crew members who will fly in and out of San Juan. I have been looking at web site for Puerto del Rey and wondered if anyone can comment on the marina for an overnight stop and any issues with land transport from there to the airport.
Or are there better marinas to check out?
Thanks
Terry
Posted By: sail445

Re: SVI trip planning - 08/07/2015 02:11 PM

Puerto del Rey marina is a full service marina with a Thrifty Car Rental on the premises
It also has a Happy hour and restaurant (closed on Mon and Tues)
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: SVI trip planning - 08/07/2015 03:45 PM

I believe it's the largest marina in the Caribbean with over 1000 boats. Transportation from your boat to the office is by golf cart, that's how big. I also believe free water and very inexpensive electricity.

Re: SVI trip planning - 08/07/2015 05:06 PM

Thanks guys, so is that where you would spend a day and a night for a crew change and reprovison? Vs other marinas in the Fajardo area?
Posted By: sail445

Re: SVI trip planning - 08/07/2015 05:28 PM

Definitely the most convenient.
Supermarkets are about a 5 minute car ride.
Sail2wind, it's a large marina and the golf cart service is free also.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: SVI trip planning - 08/07/2015 05:52 PM

been there many times, and once 4 days just waiting for parts to be shipped, very nice marina. A pool would make it perfect. I think it is about $1 a foot including water.

Re: SVI trip planning - 08/07/2015 11:44 PM

Thanks again for that info. Sounds like the right place for my mid SVI stop.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: SVI trip planning - 08/17/2015 05:19 PM

Just dropped CYOA's Big Papa Lulu in Del Rey.
It's a huge marina. Full service. Call the dockmaster on VHF-71 for a golf-card to come get you... especially if you're way out on the end of one of the outer docks.

Re: SVI trip planning - 08/17/2015 05:25 PM

Nice, did you reserve slip in advance or can I just call when I get close?

Re: SVI trip planning - 08/17/2015 10:20 PM

CYOA arranged it for us.
I'd recommend that you reserve a slip in advance if you can.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: SVI trip planning - 08/18/2015 02:05 AM

So was you dropping the boat off in Del Ray part of CYOA putting their boats over in PR for hurricane season already?

Re: SVI trip planning - 08/18/2015 03:20 PM

LocalSailor - that was the original plan... but as General Patton said "No plan survives contact with the enemy."

Del Rey management changed hands two years ago. When we chartered the boat and bought plane tickets, CYOA's plan was still to put boats on the hard in Del Rey starting in August. They've done this for, lordy, probably 20 years or more. Del Rey changed that plan unilaterally on CYOA a month or two before we arrived. Sooooo.... we, having had bought plan tickets out of San Juan and planned the trip around that, still had to drop the boat in Del Rey. CYOA sent someone over to Del Ray to bring Big Papa Lulu back to St. Thomas on Monday, where she now rests safe and sound according to CYOA staff. I must say that I hated leaving a brand new $600,000+ boat at the dock without adult supervision, even though it was just for 36 hours.

So nothing was changed for us, but CYOA got the short-stick in this deal, and I feel bad for them. There was nothing we could really do though.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline