TravelTalkOnline

SVI Trip

Posted By: txjustin

SVI Trip - 08/17/2015 05:28 PM

We are considering a land based SVI trip next July. I was thinking 3 days/nights on Culebra and 4-5 on Vieques. This sound about right or should we adjust in some way?
Posted By: Twanger

Re: SVI Trip - 08/17/2015 10:19 PM

That sounds perfect!

Re: SVI Trip - 08/17/2015 11:01 PM

Thanks Twanger. Never been and am excited to get on island time.

Re: SVI Trip - 08/18/2015 03:24 PM

Please don't miss the Bio-Bay on Vieques. It's a natural wonder.

If you're fit, a kayak tour is the way to go. We did that in 2013.

This time we did an electric-boat tour, which was still really cool - but just not as up-close and personal like a kayak.
Posted By: Dougie

Re: SVI Trip - 08/18/2015 03:50 PM

July is chock full of Puerto Rican holidays, so be prepared for significant crowds. Great snorkeling beaches on the leeward side of Culebra, including Carlos Rosario (aka Impact), Tamarindo, Melones and Punta Soldado. Signature beach Flamenco will be packed, so you may wish to travel to Zoni, where the view to the VIs is eye popping, unless Sahara dust is in the atmosphere.

I can't do the beaches justice in a week, so choose according to your preferences for a three day visit.

Re: SVI Trip - 08/18/2015 05:27 PM

Dougie said:
July is chock full of Puerto Rican holidays, so be prepared for significant crowds. Great snorkeling beaches on the leeward side of Culebra, including Carlos Rosario (aka Impact), Tamarindo, Melones and Punta Soldado. Signature beach Flamenco will be packed, so you may wish to travel to Zoni, where the view to the VIs is eye popping, unless Sahara dust is in the atmosphere.

I can't do the beaches justice in a week, so choose according to your preferences for a three day visit.

Well, then should I split it down the middle between Culebra and Viequest (days wise) or more on Culubra??
Posted By: Dougie

Re: SVI Trip - 08/19/2015 03:50 PM

Depends on your personal preferences. Vieques is more upscale, while Culebra is funky and laid back. Vieques' bio bay is more spectacular than any on Culebra. Windward beaches on either island will have bio activity on moonless nights. Carlos Rosario and the northern part of Tamarindo on Culebra are PR's healthiest reefs.

Re: SVI Trip - 08/19/2015 06:00 PM

What part of Culebra and Vieques should I stay on for ease of snorkeling?

Re: SVI Trip - 08/19/2015 07:33 PM

Culebra is small and you can rent a jeep or golf cart and hit just about any beach. Snorkeling on the NE side of Flamenco is good. Tamarindo has excellent snorkeling also, and a good sunset.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline