TravelTalkOnline

St John Cell phone charges

Posted By: jzlarson

St John Cell phone charges - 05/05/2016 12:52 AM

Ok so I just want to be sure I understand--we will be in St. John next week with Verizon as our carrier. We are starting our trip in Tortola and are using the Verizon global/international plan for $40 for the month since we will be calling taxis etc on Tortola. After Tortola we are heading to St John for a week--Does this mean that when we are on St. John:
*Any cell calls going through a USVI cell tower will be charged at our normal charge (no roaming, etc.)
*Any cell calls going through a BVI tower will be covered on our global/international plan?

So basically, are we covered for cell calls if/when we actually HAVE service to make a call?
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: St John Cell phone charges - 05/05/2016 10:58 AM

No St John is not covered under your normal plan or the international plan. If you want a cell while on St John get a burner ATT or Sprint phone. You will be roaming at a very expensive rate.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: St John Cell phone charges - 05/05/2016 01:10 PM

Verizon is the worst company for the USVI. It was in the past however covered under the international plan. I switched to ATT for that reason.
G
Posted By: snowdog

Re: St John Cell phone charges - 05/05/2016 05:46 PM

No offense.... But why wouldn't you call Verizon and ask them directly? vs asking strangers on the Internet....
Posted By: jzlarson

Re: St John Cell phone charges - 05/05/2016 09:57 PM

I don't blame you a bit for wondering--truth is, we have called AND tried chatting with Verizon, but true to Verizon form there isn't a straight answer to be had so we thought we'd check with people who might have personal experience
Posted By: sunnybuns

Re: St John Cell phone charges - 05/05/2016 10:07 PM

Just got back and the boss checked our charges in the usvi v/s bvi. No affect at all on our bill in the usvi. St.John and STT. No service in BVI so we let the kids use their high end smartphones to relay for us for 3 days.Was kinda nice not dealing with anything for a few days.,

Might post our video for all to enjoy, just have to get the go ahead on my editing job from all who participated. Stay tuned...
Posted By: TRVLMOMHHI

Re: St John Cell phone charges - 05/06/2016 01:19 PM

We have done this same dance in the past. Ends up easier (and cheaper) to get ATT go-phone. We add a new sim card and pay $15 for 30 days. You can pick ur plan - we do the $2/day flat charge for unlimited calls/texts. This year we are getting two so the kids can wander and still have a phone to reach us and check in. Dealing with Verizon and "hoping" we don't get charged is not worth the hassle.
Posted By: Ready2go

Re: St John Cell phone charges - 05/08/2016 03:52 AM

Ok, here's my 2 cents. We dropped verizon many,many years ago. I went with Consumer Cellular which uses AT&T transmission/wireless. I also bought a Samsung S4 Quad phone for international travel. Consumer has no long term contract, just month to month plans and allows you to select as much or as little as you want , data/voice/text and they give alerts when you may becoming anywhere near your plan. You can bring any GSM phone and set it up with them. I will say , from what others have told me, you do have to be careful while on the north side of St. John as you may get connected via a tower in the BVI's and incur international charges. We've had wonderful connection with all aspects of phone and service. This may or may not help. As I said, just my 2 cents. Cheers
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline