TravelTalkOnline

Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations

Posted By: Cleobeach

Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/25/2020 01:24 PM

Hello

We are thinking about our annual February trip and likely will head back to the USVIs.

I have always wanted to do a crewed sailing charter. I am looking for recommendations on a broker or charter company.

We would likely be 4 needing three cabins (mom/dad, adult friend, teen son). I think we would prefer the room of a cat but would consider a mono if it was the right type of boat. A boat with a water makers a must as I am the only one with any “boat life” experience as it relates to conservation.

Thanks!
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/25/2020 01:28 PM

We can do captain only at CYOA. Otherwise lookup Catatonic.

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/25/2020 02:37 PM

Thanks Jay, Catatonic looks very appealing. Your thoughts on sailing around the SVI? Is it feasible to start in PR and end in STT?
Posted By: warren460

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/25/2020 05:52 PM

Our boats, Scuba Doo 450 and 50 are available for charter on an all inclusive crewed basis.

https://www.cyabrochure.com/ebn/2307/pdyrX/6641/1///

http://www.cyabrochure.com/ebn/2307/pdyrX/6642/1

Please check out the links above.

Both cats are based out of Red Hook, St. Thomas, USVI.

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/25/2020 08:29 PM

Thanks. My husband is getting excited about the idea. I have thought about his for years but was overruled by the men in my life. However the 14 yo is at the age where he wants more “doing” on vacation and it think a crewed sailing trip would be great. We all love to snorkel, swim, fish, tube, etc. and I don’t want to cook😀

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/26/2020 12:18 AM

I would do it the other way. Start in STT and sail down wind to Puedto Rico
Posted By: sail445

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/26/2020 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainJay
I would do it the other way. Start in STT and sail down wind to Puedto Rico

I agree 100%
It could be blowing hard but you’re going down wind and it’s relatively smooth sailing.
I personally have done it a hundred times
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/26/2020 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainJay
We can do captain only at CYOA.

CYOA is excellent option for Captain only (you still provision and cook for yourself, purchase fuel, etc).
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/26/2020 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by warren460
Scuba Doo 450 and 50 are available for charter on an all inclusive crewed basis.

https://www.cyabrochure.com/ebn/2307/pdyrX/6641/1///

http://www.cyabrochure.com/ebn/2307/pdyrX/6642/1

Please check out the links above.

Both cats are based out of Red Hook, St. Thomas, USVI.

Scuba Doo (and there are about to be 2 of them), is a great choice for fully crewed/ all inclusive. And as you might expect with the name, having own SCUBA air-fills on board is awesome.
Posted By: Husker

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/26/2020 12:11 PM

Hi Cleobeach - Have you ever sailed the BVI? Might be a less 'salty' option than sailing from USVI to SVI (and back?), especially if you are concerned about sea sickness in your group.
We have a beautiful 2019 Leopard 50, 4-cabin cat, with an excellent crew based in Tortola. If our boat is too big, the charter company we have her in has many options for smaller cats and monohulls. Feel free to email me if you are interested, clloyd309@gmail.com.

Chris
s/v Abby Normal To
Leopard 50
Tortola

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/26/2020 01:05 PM

We love the BVIs and have island hopped during day trips over the years. Mahoe on V is our favorite place to stay but I am Leary of booking a trip with the current COVID concerns. I don’t want the hassle of refunds/rebooking if the BVI government doesn’t allow us in.

Thanks for the itinerary advice.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/26/2020 01:43 PM

St Thomas to Culebra is an easy sail. Heading back East to the USVI is usually tougher. By starting in STT and heading West first, you avoid half of the upwind trip. Culebra for example is only half way to PR.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/26/2020 04:16 PM

Love me some Catatonic

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/26/2020 09:50 PM

Yep booking USVI as a starting point wether crewed or bare oat will give you the best options. If everything opens up it won't make any real difference. If the BVI doesn't you will still have great options.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/27/2020 12:51 PM

We had a fantastic time chartering from CYOA and staying just in the USVI! Highly recommend!!!
Posted By: toast

Re: Crewed sailing in USVI waters - seeking recommendations - 07/28/2020 10:52 AM

Husker,
Love the boat name. Fond memories laughing through that movie!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline