TravelTalkOnline

ST JOHN part 3

Posted By: BEERMAN

ST JOHN part 3 - 08/17/2021 02:18 PM

STJ August 3-10, 2021

My daughter's boyfriend has been to STJ by boat a couple times, but our goal was to try to hit some places that he has never been and if we can experience something new along the way ...well, that would be a plus!

Yesterday I forgot to mention that since we picked up the Jeep after hours I was required to go to Cool Breeze in the morning to complete the paperwork, easy 5 minute process at 0800. Cool Breeze staff was great to work with and the Jeep was in great condition!

We headed out by 0900 and by the time we got to Trunk all of the parking was gone! Noticed many vehicles precariously parked way up along the edge of the road, one had an orange sticker on the window, perhaps a ticket? Noticed 1/3 of the parking still available at Hawksnest, so we backtracked. We found some partial shade on the far north side of the beach and established camp! We shared our end of the beach with maybe 2 other couples, but by 1100 we saw the crowds gradually grow, around noon one family/friends group gathered (24 people matching shirts), been there done that, thankfully they were quieter than when we brought a gang down!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Skinny Legs is a must do for us, was scheduled to close for the season in 3 days, let's go! We all were craving either the mahi sandwich or a burger with same day service! The ride over was nice, barely a car on the road, always enjoy driving up from Maho and down from lush Bordeaux Mountain.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Saw our first jack [censored] as we entered Coral Bay and he saw his. Curious how the storms may have affected the donkey population? Also noticed that the Moravian Church has lost its roof, that was sad, I usually get the camera out to document things, but I didn't want to capture it that way, please rebuild! Pulling into Skinny's we noticed one car? merchandise shop was open! but wait...Skinny's was CLOSED?? A woman told us they ran out of food yesterday and decided not to order more and start their vacation early, BIG BUMMER!! Ok, let's see what's new in Voyages or Aqua Bistro? As we approached the mangroves ohhh myyyyy GOD!.......SARGASSUM!! It was so putrid, ....windows up! didn't help, we trapped the noxious cloud in our Jeep!! There was a bartender at an outside bar at Voyages, not happening THE SMELL.... on towards Miss Lucy's..nope, closed at 2pm to get ready for the dinner crowd, less smelly here, too bad. On to Pizza Bar where Jolly Dog and Shipwreck used to be...nope closed...Coral Bay was a bust! Couldn't bring myself to photograph the concrete pad where Shipwreck once provided us with great times.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ok, we were getting hangry, so we decided to go back into Cruz Bay for the Beach Bar, windows up!!...As we climbed over Centerline... wait!, there's the Windmill sign...hit the brakes hard!! This is the kind of new change that I enjoy! The Windmill is on the privately owned Susannaberg Estate. I understand there's a parking fee, but nobody was there when we entered, I hear it might be $5? Great vibe here, reminded me of Hog Heaven on Virgin Gorda, just more open space. As we walked from the Jeep we were looking at a soursop tree and a man with a NPS t-shirt stopped and told us about the abundant plants including mango, banana, plantains etc., thank you NPS t-shirt guy! Beautiful view!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The work continues building the Windmill property and they do offer dinners now, but my guess is that it will be a true destination dining spot in the future, if not already. We were going to grill Ahi Tuna at the villa so we each simply had a nice hot dog and a couple drinks. With the afternoon sun beating down on us we grabbed a shady spot for shady people.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Around 5pm we drove 5-10 minutes to the villa to cool down and relax in the refreshing pool. Awesome pool deck to watch the perfect sunset. Dinner tonight was seared Ahi tuna marinated in soy/sesame oil, garlic with a soy wasabi sauce, rice and veggies. No pics, but it was tasty!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

To be continued, Cheers!.............
Posted By: Bakoguy

Re: ST JOHN part 3 - 08/17/2021 04:08 PM

We spent some time at the Windmill Bar during our trip back in June. Unfortunately it was a bit overcast and hazy but still a great view and lots of fun. This place will only get better as they continue to make improvements. Cheers,

Allen
Posted By: maytrix

Re: ST JOHN part 3 - 08/17/2021 04:37 PM

You never disappoint. Great pictures and great report! Looking forward to the rest!
Posted By: TomB

Re: ST JOHN part 3 - 08/18/2021 12:18 PM

One improvement needed for Windmill Bar

Where is the Presidente on the bar menu.

Beerman... Budweiser????

Keep the stories and pics coming!

Re: ST JOHN part 3 - 08/18/2021 01:04 PM

Thanks guys! Tom, Presidente was impossible to come by, not sure why? Presidente Light was available in stores. We drank St John Brewers Summer Ale at the beach and needed a change, Budweiser was the change that I needed! I'm actually a Budlight fan...don't judge ha!!!! As far as IPA's...one and done for me! Cheers!
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: ST JOHN part 3 - 08/18/2021 04:26 PM

We also randomly went to the Windmill Bar when we were there in May and LOVED it. We had been hanging out at Maho Crossroads (I know, Beerman, not your favorite place but I'm a Deadhead, so I like the vibe.) and John, the owner, and his friend, Spoons talked us into going that afternoon to see live music. So...we carted 6 recent college graduates up the hill to the Windmill Bar and had the best time and the BEST chicken rotis. The shortage of Presidente was evident in May and June when we were there. Something about the bottle supplier being behind so they didn't have a way to bottle it???

Re: ST JOHN part 3 - 08/18/2021 05:23 PM

Caribbeangirl, late teens I drove a VW turtle top bus and have seen The Dead live....don't tell anybody, but if crossroads was anywhere else I would love it! Interesting about the bottle shortage, we contacted the owner of Blind Betty's hot sauce because we couldn't find her hot mango chutney on island....trouble getting bottles! We do have her original hot sauce and will patiently wait for the bottles to arrive!
Posted By: TomB

Re: ST JOHN part 3 - 08/18/2021 06:55 PM

Once again total agreement! Crossroads sounds like a place I would love to hangout... But not on Maho smile
Too many memories, but once again I need to get over it - Maho has changed... and realistically I probably will not get over it wink

As for beer...
Pilsner, Lager, Kolsch - Bock, Porter, Stout please
and everything in between – no thank you
Also no flavors please… Just Beer
I have always thought that if you have to add a flavor evidently you did not make your beer good enough.
Of course IMHO

Re: ST JOHN part 3 - 08/18/2021 08:11 PM

Give me an Irish/English Red!! or.........

Attached picture UT3A2963.JPG
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline