TravelTalkOnline

O boy !! eyes in skies

Posted By: LocalSailor

O boy !! eyes in skies - 12/27/2021 02:33 AM

I am just not a fan of any invasive monitor -- public or private. YIKES

https://stthomassource.com/content/2021/12/26/new-technology-can-control-overcrowding-in-anchorages/

sailors -- comments??
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: O boy !! eyes in skies - 12/27/2021 01:53 PM

Interesting. Watching to see how this evolves.
Posted By: RickG

Re: O boy !! eyes in skies - 12/27/2021 02:18 PM

Lots of holes in the geofencing discussion. Many boats do not have AIS. There are not enough AIS ground stations to track all areas and MarineTraffic.com requires a subscription to access satellite tracks.

As far as an app-based reservation system for the VIPCA moorings, remote payment makes sense. I expect the VIPCA moorings in Coral Bay will be popular. I'd be happier if the NPS added an app or online payment system. First come first served works better than reservations. Trying to chase someone off of your reserved mooring is a recipe for conflict.

We don't see DPNR enforcement boats on the south shore of St. John and Coral Bay unless the East End homeowners call DPNR; for some reason they get service. Saltwell Bottom beach in Hansen Bay, access through private land for a fee, put out its own swim buoys without a permit.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: warren460

Re: O boy !! eyes in skies - 12/28/2021 06:04 AM

Boatyball is horrible.

Boatyball destroyed the special ambiance of cruising the bvi.

A similar concept in the usvi would be disastrous unless many many more balls added all over.
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: O boy !! eyes in skies - 12/29/2021 07:05 PM

Warren my understanding is that it will still be first come first served. Just online payment systems as the moorings are far-flung. The in-person collection will be nearly impossible.Basically an honor system like the national park but with an online portal.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline