Top Posters(30 Days)
Kennys 33
RonDon 32
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Bonheur
Who's Online Now
25 registered members (dfmsml, mark37, jrw, mscottc, Islandtimebill, warren460, alecu7, duckfat, pl3, MrEZgoin, Kegoangoango, SXMScubaman, KnotFlyin, Kiles41, RatmansWife, GeorgeC1, onlymedication, SeeDiver, Buddyhog, fabila, 5 invisible), 425 guests, and 112 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
British Virgin Islands
16 seconds ago
Fitzhugh--And yet, your clients got sued. Even if you win the case, your client lost, because they got sued. We are a small shop and can't afford to get sued, period. And again, for the third time, absolutely NO reason to copy and paste whole sections of copyrighted material, when a link will suffice.
26 1,565 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
Hard rain from 4 to 5 today. Now sun is out.
7 513 Read More
British Virgin Islands
1 hour ago
I would estimate based on our recent charter that about 60%+ of the boats out there are transmitting an AIS signal. Still need to keep your eyes out, but it’s really becoming “easy button” sailing.
7 177 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
Someone might steal that Delta belly picture as their phone screen saver.
7 483 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
Sad, but a good thing as it’s was a danger attracting danger. Hopefully the ocean/beach will reclaim that stretch. Same with the chalets. Hopefully this will lite a fire amongst those with money in the game to either rebuild or sell.
17 1,987 Read More
British Virgin Islands
2 hours ago
I for one hope you will change your mind. frown
26 1,565 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by lhbsurf
I think Statia frequently looks like 2 islands because of the way it's shaped with the Quill volcano, dip in the middle and the small mountain to the right. It's the one to the far left of the picture.

You're correct.
10 966 Read More
British Virgin Islands
3 hours ago
They have transceivers but again only on the recently delivered boats.
7 177 Read More
British Virgin Islands
3 hours ago
"WE as TTOL could be threatened with lawsuits for allowing others to post items in violation of copyright laws."

Apparently my note about news items and the Fair Use doctrine slipped past you. Again, you can do whatever you want, but before scolding someone, you should: (a) know what you're talking about; and (b) have a command of the law. I realize that having graduated from an institution that perenially turns out the largest graduating class in the world makes my credentials suspect because it's obviously one of those "factory law schools," but in this instance, I can claim both.

I'll save you the trouble of having to ever edit or delete a portion of a post of mine in the future. Adios....

26 1,565 Read More
British Virgin Islands
3 hours ago
@Fitzhughlaw - you are assuming that TTOL is subject to U.S. law; which might not apply. In addition, you agreed to the terms and conditions, and it seems that you've forgotten Paragraph 16; which means that when it comes to TTOL's and your interpretation of what might be a copyright is a moot point.
(Forum Rules)
16. The posting of copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright holder is prohibited. Wholesale copying and pasting of copyrighted material is not ‘fair use’ and will be deleted without comment. Please post a LINK to the material and if appropriate, a SMALL snippet of the material. We reserve the right to remove or edit material which we deem to be in violation of copyright laws, but we are under no obligation to do so.
26 1,565 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
3 hours ago
Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the directions and we probably saw Secret Seafood from our villa at Simpson Bay Resort.
15 1,084 Read More
British Virgin Islands
3 hours ago
I see moorings boat transmit. It is a good way for the charter companies to know where their boats are and where they've been. A transmitter is only insignificantly more than a receiver in the grand scheme of things.
7 177 Read More
British Virgin Islands
3 hours ago
Fitzhughlaw--WE as TTOL could be threatened with lawsuits for allowing others to post items in violation of copyright laws. Thus, we will continue to remove them. And, as I said, there is absolutely NO reason to copy and paste huge sections of text that one can just click on and read the original story.
26 1,565 Read More
British Virgin Islands
3 hours ago
Do the Moorings boats have only receivers or do they have transceivers?
7 177 Read More
British Virgin Islands
4 hours ago
Husker, the fares that are going to be in effect will rise to reflect increased seasonal demand, and I have no basis to disagree with the fares you cite as current offerings.

Again, however, I think that they prove the point that I was trying to make (and apparently failed to do effectively) which is that it is indeed a needless airport expansion that is being contemplated - contrary to Mrs. Ratman's [typically prescient and cogent] post that accurately points out that current inefficiencies could be eliminated by "development" of the existing footprint.

To be clear, the drumbeat is for "expansion" even though it's headlined as "development" and here it is from the proverbial horse's mouth ("da gub mint"): https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/bvi-airports-authority-advances-airport-development.

Note the the lead sentence in the PR: "The Government of the Virgin Islands has announced that significant progress is being made in the ongoing airport development project."

Now note this quote (and I'll only insert this portion of the text so that I don't get chided for violating the "fair use" doctrine🙄): "Honourable Rymer said, "We see this as a significant step in realising our vision for the expansion of the Terrance B Lettsome International Airport and the Territory on a whole. The overwhelming responses from reputable firms, both locally and internationally, affirms the importance and potential of this project.""

It's being referred to as "development" precisely the same way US politicians refer to "revenue enhancements" or "investments" instead of "tax increases." Unfortunately, what all of these BVI politicians are salivating over is the prospect of a mega project.
15 573 Read More
British Virgin Islands
5 hours ago
Fitz: Maybe I am missing your point, but as others on this thread mention there are some very competitive fares incorporating the AA MIA-EIS-MIA leg.....way less than $1,200. The weekend rates are high for sure. Weekdays and purchased way in advance definitely rival the STT + ferry option.
15 573 Read More
British Virgin Islands
5 hours ago
The articles about the airport expansion, as I recall, referenced airport development rather than airport expansion. Of course contractors and politicians hope for the latter, whether legit work or greased palms.

I'm hoping development could mean basic deferred maintenance as well as improvements to baggage handling, Immigration and Customs. People end up standing outside in long lines with fewer, smaller planes. Go up on the observation deck and you'll see pieces of construction material lying around. The current security screening area is entirely insufficient: adding tables outside the sliding doors doesn't work.

A good airport planner could rectify these problems within the existing footprint.
15 573 Read More
British Virgin Islands
6 hours ago
Just a small point on the other airlines will follow. There is only one other aircraft that can fly this route and that is the A220-100. Only Delta operates that aircraft and they have shown no interest. The E175 is operated under contract by AA, Delta and United however it’s quite marginal even flying just EIS to MIA. They are blocking off 16 seats from inventory to make the MIA flight possible leaving only 60 seats. Every mile you add to service airports further away will require more blocked seats. AA with their large connecting opportunities out of MIA is probably the only airline that can fly the route profitably. Now Delta could operate a full A220-100 to ATL but trust me they won’t for reasons I don’t understand.
15 573 Read More
British Virgin Islands
6 hours ago
I have indeed heard of "fair use" and have handled such cases in the defense of people who posted a news item and were threatened with a lawsuit by copyright trolls. First of all, if not for commercial purposes, quoting of a piece is not infringement, and secondly, in Section 107 of the Copyright Act (17 U.S. Code § 107 in case you want to check), "news items" are given specific treatment as examples of non-infringement.

You're the boss here, and can do whatever you like, but chastising me for replicating an article merely to enable readers to avoid clicking on a link is misplaced - and with regard to the law, unavailing.
26 1,565 Read More
British Virgin Islands
6 hours ago
This is further evidence that eventually, market forces will prevail over the BVI government's relentless desire to undertake huge projects (with their accompanying photo ops) such as the proposed airport expansion that will accommodate larger jets, such as Airbus or Boeing airiliners. AA's five flights per day during peak travel season is a more than sufficient airlift (and this is just one carrier from one major US city directly to Beef Island - others will follow if the route is profitable).

Meanwhile, the math, which none of these politicians care to consider, militates against it. Here's a post that I saw from February after the announcement that KPMG would be "advising" the government on the project's feasibility; talk about "the fix is in," does anybody doubt how that's going to turn out? Upon further scrutiny this rough analysis below has solid numbers - and this announcement from AA demonstrates that such a project is a complete waste of money, given the Territory's infrastructure woes (among others):

"Where is all this wealth of information, paid by the public purse that Mr. Menal refers to? As we saw after the passage of Irma, BVI does not have much in the way of financial resources. So, if it goes ahead, BVI will need financing. It won’t be cheap because of BVI’s record of cost overruns and exceeding budgets. A few years back, bids were received in the $200 million range. At 7% interest rates over 20 years that works out to a monthly note of about $1 million or $12 million per year. Where is that money coming from? Departure tax? In 2020 there were about 100,000 overnight visitors to the BVI. Works out to about $120 each extra, on top of the $20 departure tax, $10 arrival tax. So, $150 extra per person.

Expedia shows round trip tickets Miami to Beef for $1,200 (and up), so basically a 10-15% added tax to pay for airport expansion. Family of 4 would be out close to $6000 just to get here directly. And, that’s based on the last set of bids. You know it will probably be twice that much. Air fares to Beef will be comparable to what it costs to rent a villa for a week!

Meanwhile, it’s not too difficult to get round trip tickets to Miami from STT for $400. Factor in ferry tickets, taxis etc, and a family of four can get here for less than $2,000. So, back to the question: how does the airport pay for itself? KPMG is supposed to tell us this, but how much spin will they put? And, will the public have access to their report?"

We can only hope that common sense will prevail when it comes to a cost/benefit assessment of this project, but I'm not optimistic.
15 573 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
6 hours ago
I am very familiar with that heat and you are correct it is very intense.
7 513 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
7 hours ago
Last night there was amazing fireworks in Simpson bay. I only saw the end and had no chance to take a pic. Somebody from the Pelican resort had a drone that flew very close to the fireworks. Maybe someone has pictures to share
4 385 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
7 hours ago
At the end of the walkway is a restaurant called the pier. Very good food and inexpensive
4 269 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
7 hours ago
Its at the opposite end from the cruiseships... i believe the bar at the waterside corner is called laid back bar. There's also a small pier if you are looking for a landmark.

Behind these fountains is a rasta bar that sells beers for 1usd or maybe $1.50 and affordable food.

And in between are free washrooms.

Enjoy... it's a great calm spot.
4 269 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
7 hours ago
Is that just the other side of sea palace resort?
4 269 Read More
Page 1 of 66 1 2 3 65 66